What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fencing

My hopeful new sport is not looking too fun. It's also fairly expensive. I was hopeing more for random sword fighting type thing. Oh well. Anyway does anyone here fence? Feel free to give tips and pointers.

I've never done it,but my mom did when she was younger and she was great at it,plus she loved it.Sorry I don't have any advice...well I guess just don't let the other guy spear you,that's my only advice
smile_n_32.gif
Have fun! ~Niki~
laugh.gif

I used to fence. I loved it.
smile.gif
Its fun. AND painful. Even with the padding you have on, if someone lands a blow...it hurts. You end up with little round bruises. hehe Before you start your match, you salute your opponent, the audience and the judge with your foil. Swish, swish, swish! The its "en garde!!" They have electronic fencing too but I never did that. Didn't want the hassle of the wire in the back. Or maybe nowadays they've gotten rid of the wire.

Fencing definitely isn't random. You learn all kinds of movements like the balustra...forward step, forward step, LUNGE! BOING!

I would love to fence again.

I fenced in the back yard so the dogs wouldn't run away.

I fence now and again... But I don't actually own any equipment. The folks I fence with have loaner equipment.

Yeah, I've gotten my share of dime-sized bruises. But I never thought it hurt that much.

No wires. I fence through a group called the 'SCA' that does historical reinactment. If you find a local branch in your area, you might find that's the sort of fencing you are looking for. Not 'wire fencing'.

LMAO @ herenorthere!!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
smile_n_32.gif
~Niki~

I don't think I could fence. If somebody stuck that sword in me I'd probably beat them with mine. Do you lose if you beat the opponent with your sword thingy?

Ummm...I don't think that's allowed in the rules. lol

Bruce...I tried that too and it didn't work.
laugh.gif
Now I have electric "wire fencing" which works quite well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Even with the padding you have on, if someone lands a blow...it hurts. You end up with little round bruises.

Wimp! Quick, someone call the WAAAAAAAH-mublance! You want painfull? Try kickboxing.... Dime sized bruises indeed. Try hemotomas the size of golf balls.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I was hopeing more for random sword fighting type thing.
Randow sword fighting? No such thing, no matter what kind of sword. The radom swinger& stabber is very quickly the DEAD sword fighter. Just a matter of the style. Same is true of any weapon, even your hands. If you just swing wildly, you'll be on your rear end in no time.

Hmm I'll search when I get back

Cool, I used to fence. I did pretty well too. It is expensive, especially when you get into the electric stuff, but it is quite enjoyable. Don't give up until you give it a good try. If you like the random sword fighting, you might like the epee (the one with the big bell guard) more. You can hit your opponent anywhere--their mask, hand, even their foot. Plus there is no right of way, just who hits first.

Jonathan

Now now...I didn't mean it was EXCRUTIATING to get hit with a foil. Plus it depends on where you get hit (women DO have some rather tender spots in the "legal" area that men don't have). But there is some force behind the thrust of the foil so its not a gentle love tap. I'm sure there are many more [idiotic] sports that are seriously painful. Which makes you wonder why anyone would endure "hematomas the size of golf balls".
smile_l_32.gif
Men equate pain endurance with their virility. hehe

Personally I'm not very fond of pain and would rather avoid it when possible.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Which makes you wonder why anyone would endure "hematomas the size of golf balls".

Oh, I don't think I could count how many times I ask myself that same question....but the answer still comes back: it's worth the risk! It's just FUN! Espcially when you get some loud mouth so-and-so that's all cocky, and then they can't even hit you ONCE, meanwhile, they are just target practice for you....Oh, the satifaction.

Oddly, things that once hurt no longer do. It's like my body has learned the difference between pain that is just a nuisance and pain that is a REAL sign of trouble. I can ignore the nuisance pain with relative ease when sparring....It's a real case "I'm gonna feel THAT one in the morning."

Back