What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding

So I got a sarrancenia today, and one small thing confuses me:

How the heck do I feed it?
confused.gif

Feeding my pings is easy - sprinkle some bloodworms onto their leaves, let them do the rest. However, I'm a little nervous about shoving bloodworms down their relatively small pitchers, and getting them down far enough to actually hit the digestive juices.

It's going to be an indoors plant, so there's not a lot of hope for it catching bugs on its own (unless it grows large enough to enjoy a side of cat), so methinks I really ought to feed it.
smile.gif

Suggestions?

A side of cat? Hmmmm...... What kind of cat?

There is a topic that came and went - twice - about feeding milk and / or egg whites to pitcher plants. Gimme some time, and I'll come up with it.

since they should be going into dormancy, i wouldn't bother feeding them until new pitchers come up in the spring, at which point you can collect bugs to your hearts content.

Yeah, he's right. Feeding isn't an issue right now and for the next few months. However, Sarracenias require a dormancy period. Where did you get the plant? Is it a seedling or is it obviously older? Deja vu! Do you have a picture? Which Sarr. do you have? Don't mind me, I once personally caused the postponement of a statistics exam, due to excessive questions. My class were amused and appreciative. Not so the prof!

Back