What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

February pics

I thought I would post a few pics. The N. ventricosa pic shows the effect of using coffee. There was a big increase in pitcher size after a couple of applications a few weeks apart, which is obvious in the photo. I'm a believer now.

DSC02016.jpg

N. truncata x veitchii

DSC01949.jpg

N. x mixta

DSC01948.jpg

N. x hookeriana

DSC01947.jpg

N. veitchii LL

DSC01945.jpg

N. ventricosa "red"

awsome Neps! I love that trun x veitchii! do you grow it on a windowsill?

the way how your veitchii arranges itself and it's pitchers looks almost unreal. your plants overall look fantastic!

awsome Neps! I love that trun x veitchii! do you grow it on a windowsill?

Thanks. Yeah, the N. t x v is growing out in the open in a south window in my kitchen. It seems to like it there. There's a N. clipeata x (clipeata x eyemae) and a N. pilosa x vietchii growing there, too. Humidity doesn't seem to be an issue, but the air in my house isn't as dry as in some.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Lovely N. x Mixta.

Thanks. That's been a great plant for me.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

the way how your veitchii arranges itself and it's pitchers looks almost unreal. your plants overall look fantastic!

Actually, I did some arranging. I had to turn the plant to get the new developing pitchers out of harm's way. My wife inadvertently lopped one off a leaf that was sticking out too far into the room just putting her coat on, and I realized I had to do something.

Thanks for the compliment.

how often did you water the ventricosa with coffee. and did you let it sit in for a little or just run through the pot ?and does caffinated or decaf matter?
kgrudz

That Hookeriana is fabulous! The striping on the peristome and the brownish-looking flecks are really nice. :)

Glen, great looking plants as always. Thanks for sharing!

how often did you water the ventricosa with coffee. and did you let it sit in for a little or just run through the pot ?and does caffinated or decaf matter?
kgrudz

I watered that plant with coffee a few times, several weeks apart. Sorry I can't be more specific about that. I just kind of do things when I feel like it or when I think they need to be done, and I don't always keep track. I have been using caffeinated coffee for this, just taking the leftovers from the pot, and I water the plants with it like I normally do, letting it run through. I haven't been brave enough to use full-strength, so I've been cutting the coffee in half with regular water. I've never used decaffeinated coffee for this, so I don't know if there would be a difference.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

That Hookeriana is fabulous! The striping on the peristome and the brownish-looking flecks are really nice. :)

Thanks. That's been a really good grower for me. The pitchers seem to last forever.

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

Glen, great looking plants as always. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Keith.

That N.truncata x veitchii is gorgeous! I love the peristome and the truncated leaves!

That N.truncata x veitchii is gorgeous! I love the peristome and the truncated leaves!

Thanks. I like that one, too, and it's really nice that it seems to thrive as a houseplant.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

amphirion, I was glancing back over the thread, and I just realized you were talking about the N. veitchii in your post. My reply must have seemed a little odd. I apologize. I was in a hurry and for some reason I thought you were talking about the t x v. The veitchii is in my lowland case and it just grew that way. I think that pretty soon it will start to climb.

Back