What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast growers

Is there a general agreement on which Sarracenia species grow faster?

S. rubra is one of the fastest to grow new growth points. It also seemed to put out a lot of pitchers too. Rubra is not very tall though so it can grow mature pitchers faster than s. flava or s. leucophylla. Hope this helps.

-buckeye

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (buckeye @ May 01 2003,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">S. rubra is one of the fastest to grow new growth points.  It also seemed to put out a lot of pitchers too.  Rubra is not very tall though so it can grow mature pitchers faster than   s. flava or s. leucophylla.  Hope this helps.

-buckeye[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It depends on what subspecis you're talking about. sarracenia rubra ssp. rubra can get up to 14 inches tall (at least on my plants.) and rubra ssp gulfensis can have pitchers up to 2 1/2 feet tall [on my plants that is, and flower stalks 3 feet high! ])

Thanks all for replying. My S. psittacina has put out the earliest growth, followed by S.leucophlla,then, S.minor

Hi would anyone else like to comment on which pitcher plants, that you grow outdoors, start growing first in the spring.

I've noticed that it seems to change every spring, for me anyway. Last year, I had a bunch of (purp x flava), flava, and an oreophila x willisii be the first to commence growth. This year, the first growth is on 'Ladies in Waiting', leuco x (alata x rubra), leuco x rubra, and (oreophila x flava) x leuco.

well I have a rubra rubra (from lowes) I bought on clearence for fifty cents, It seemed to be doing okay, but then it suddenly dropped, I sprayed it with Fungicide/Insecticide/miltcide Any way my Flava has been fastest in my bog garden, Every time I water it, it has sudden bursts of growth hope your right man about the Rubra, mines in big trouble otherwise

S. purpurea is the fastest by far. But, leaving that one out of the discussion because it isn't a fair fight, I'll say S. flava starts the fastest, followed by S. leucophylla and then S. minor. I don't have any alatas and only added S. alabamensis to the collection last year. So I can't comment on those, other than to say there seems to be more activity in the S. alabamensis pot right now than in the other southern species pots. I've also added S. rubra, S. jonesii, and S. oreophila this year, but they're inside under lights instead of outside under oak leaves.

For me it has been a pretty even race for all my Sars. The Judith Hindles were the first with a fully open pitcher, with oreophilla, purpurea and wrigleyana also opening within a day or 2 of that. My small flava have a couple new pitchers about 3 inch tall that opened about 2 days ago and another in that pot has one thats 4 inch tall thats not even close to looking ready to open yet. The slowest is my leuco reds which I suspect are the slowest to open because they are going to be the tallest. I have 9 inch tall pitcher shoots on those that still look a long way from opening. Strangely enough I have not one single flower in the lot
sad.gif
This is a little disheartening as I was very anxious to see firsthand the beautiful flowers that so far I have only seen in pictures.

Steve

Great! And I have 84 flowers, and not an open leaf in sight, though shoots are coming up.

Wow whats you gonna do with all that seed? You could easily have 100,000! How many plants dov you have to have that many buds?

34 for me  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

Best of all is 3 buds on my leucophylla. Should be able to make some nice hybrids with that.

Thats alot to how many plants do you guys grow???<span id='ME'><center>pond boy in awe</center></span>

Pond Boy, I have 123 sarracenia. Out of all of these, 84 blooms, and I have discovered 6 more possible buds. I intend to give some seed away, and grow out the rest for giveaways. I will not be giving out any oreophila seed or plants for at least three years for reasons of my own. However, S.r. alabamensis, Chilton County, Thorsby, Alabama, has 6 blooms on three rhizomes. I will be giving out at least half the seed. Same with jonesii from Etowah, North Carolina, Henderson County. That bog is now a golf course and very extinct. BUT, I have their babies in seed. I will be very sparing on those as I want to add to the collection at least 10 more jonesii. Pond Man! Want some s. flava var. atropurpurea seed? Should have that and var. rugelii, with rugelii in large quantity, atro in less. My favorite time of year!! Bagging flower heads, and cross pollinating my "pure" forms. Will have plenty of s X moorei seed too, and some various alata seed too. I will let everyone know when the feeding frenzy will begin. I should make up a growlist, but I hate writing!! Leuco's too! And red tubes from three different places in seed form. I'M RICH!! (In seed.)

Hi Bugweed
How do you grow your Plants?
Are they in Bags?
What type of mix do you use peat x perlite ?
Regards
Steven

In bags? No. They grow outside in direct sun in a straight peat mix, no perlite (hate that crap), and no sand. I get no complaints from my plants at all. Our outside temps here can and do get to 112 degrees, but if you have been in a bog in the searing heat of summer, you would know that the plants can handle that heat. They sometimes get a little crisp around the edges of their lids, but if misted, they mud it out just fine. I am hoping for double the flowers next year. I am ready to bag the flowers and pollinate til my hearts content!!

Sorry Bugweed that should be In Bogs?
biggrin.gif

I live in Malaysia so The Humidity should be Ok Lots of sun
Because there is no winter here I will have to but them in the Fridge
I was thinking of making a bog but I’m not sure about it as i would ether have to leave the plants in the pots or dig them up before I can put them in the fridge for a little sleep
biggrin.gif

Any Suggestions?
Regards
Steven

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 06 2004,11:04)]Pond Man! Want some s. flava var. atropurpurea seed? Should have that and var. rugelii, with rugelii in large quantity, atro in less.
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...................................are you talking to me `cause I'm the only pond person I see around here. If so the answer nis yes please,if my mom will let me,and if your in the usa.

I`ll have some georgian S.minor seed with location data (if cool pm.s me back with it`s data again since his message to me got deleted when the forums were upgraded) that I could trade.

Back