What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans of carnivorous plants are forming club in Buffalo area

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
"Plants that turn the tables on the animal kingdom and get their nutrients from insects are fascinating. If you are a fan, or if you would just like to learn more, check out the Western New York Carnivorous Plant Club that is being formed.

The new organization is for amateurs as well as professionals.

Kenny Coogan, one of the founders, said the group’s mission is “to function as an educational organization interested in all phases of cultivating carnivorous plants and to aid in the propagation and dissemination of carnivorous plants in the Western New York Area.”

The group will hold its first meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 2, probably in the Tonawanda or Buffalo area. It plans to meet on the first Tuesday of every month, perhaps year round.

For more information, you can visit the group’s Facebook page or e-mail wnycpclub@aol.com.

ohhh..interesting!

ohhh..interesting!

Yes it is. I sent out an Email and made a post on the Facebook page. So we'll see what happens.

Looks great, they appear to be getting good coverage - even a piece on a local TV station.

....and I got a response:

Hi Scott,

What type of plants do you currently have or are willing to trade? If you are interested I could meet you at another time that if convienant and try to trade some of your plants with other members at the meeting.

I will have much more info after we meet as a group on August 2nd. I will put some feelers out at the first meeting to see what people have and what people are interested in getting.

Thank you for contacting us - I will get back to you soon.

I have some capensis and spathulata sundews that I can trade and a scarlet belle pitcher plant.

Kenny Coogan

....and I got a response:

Based on it...he kinda sounds like a noob...or something...I dunno, just seems odd that he wants to trade the second you say hello. :lol:

It looks like Jimscott was the one who brought up the subject of trades.

This guy doesn't sound too much of a newbie in the interview. And he certainly has his act together being affiliated with a botanical garden and getting all the press coverage. Plant groups have to start somewhere by somebody and it seems to me there is plenty of potential here.

I'm just glad that something is going on this side of the State. As far as I can tell, he's a student at the University of Buffalo.

Hello, my name is Ryan and I'm one of the co-founders of this club. we held our first meeting last night and got a pretty good turn out of 16 people, ranging from master gardeners and a horticulturalist at the botanical gardens, to people who have yet to start collecting but are interested in CPs. I meant to make a thread about the club to advertise it, but Kenny is much better at the whole PR thing than I am (he's the one in the video link). So I was quite surprised/happy to see this thread already existed!

We definitely don't claim to be experts with carnivorous plants (we've only been growing for about 3 years), but we wanted to get people together who share this interest so that we could all share our experiences and learn from each other. And as a little thank you for all who attended, we gave away small pots of D. nidiformis that I grew from seeds I received from this forum (From chibae last summer I do believe).

Here's a link to our facebook page if anyone is interested. We should have our meeting minutes posted later this evening, and next month's meeting details will be posted...once we figure them out (probably by the end of the week)

http://www.facebook.com/wnycpclub

Oh and our email address is wnycpclub@aol.com (kenny is the only person I know who uses still aol).

@jimscott - Kenny graduated from UB 2 years ago, and I'm currently attending. He works at the aquarium of niagara now and I work at Menne nursery, where I got my first CP that I didn't kill =D

Back