What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extra credit

I got to do an interview with some one about math.

I get extra credit... I'm wondering if any one Is Like Some kind of Biology Major, Preferably Field Biology, and or Entomology of some kind? I just have to ask a few questions about how much math you have to use, how much did you have to take in college, stuff like that.

PM me or something, you know what to do!
Thanks

Ummm.. I'm not but If you want to study bugs I can't imagine you'd need complicated math. I imagine you'd just need weights and measurements. Unless you are studying enzymes and different compounds found in the bugs.

Go to the library and look up Mathmatical Models in Biology by Allman and Rhodes. Most math that goes on in bio labs isn't quite that sophisticated, but it showcases the more profound aspects of statistical analysis in biology. Of course, if you count the math that's used to make the tools and lab techniques work, then biology is as complex as math gets, but that's delving more into the realm of physics and chemistry.
~Joe

I got to do an interview with some one about math.

I think he is asking to interview somebody about math for extra credit.

In which case, his researching his questions on his own won't count.

Not directly, but it's always a good idea to do research before an interview, so that you at least know enough to ask good questions. If he knows what kind of math people are working on in biology, it'll be all the easier to find a good interviewee and come up with relevant questions. People to be interviewed usually don't show up with an outline to make sure their statement is accurate and complete. You could ask a graduate-level biochemistry professor to tell you about math in biology, and they'd tell you all about calculus and differential equations and how the superposition function determines the chemical properties of this and that, but they may never mention discreet population models, simply because they don't focus on that aspect. I think the paper will turn out a lot better if Nep_ak has an idea of what he's looking for.
~Joe

Its not like a huge assignment Seedjar, it's not even required i just kinda want the extra credit. I just need to ask a few questions. (like 3-4 questions)

Back