What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Export to the philippines

anyone know where or how i can get my first venus flytrap? i live in manila, philippines.do you know any shops local that sells flytraps in manila or are there online shops that can deliver to manila philippines.

wow philippines thast a logn way. i dont think any place that does international orders.

I don't know of any stores in particular, but you could probably find one. If you buy internationally, you may need to have the plants tested and certified as disease-free in order to bring them into your country. The thing is, a flytrap wouldn't survive in normal conditions for more than a year in Manila. It's too warm in the winter. Flytraps need a cold season every year, and I think 20 degrees Celcius just isn't cold enough. If you wish to raise flytraps, you'll need to give them an artificial winter every year in a refridgerator. Many people here on the forums grow their flytraps in this way, but it does take up a lot of space in the fridge.
It would probably be easier to start with tropical plants like Nepenthes (Asian pitcher plants) and the tropical species of Drosera (the sundews,) Pinguicula (the butterworts,) and Utricularia (the bladderworts.) Many of these plants are native to your part of the world, and most all of them would be very easy for you to grow outside, without any special care besides regular watering.
You live in the prime part of the world for growing Nepenthes. Many growers here on the forums pay small fortunes to keep their Nepenthes collections happy - you can grow them on your porch!
You should take a look at the CP FAQ and BobZ's CP Photo Finder. The CP FAQ has everything you need to begin caring for CPs, and Bob's site is a good way to find CPs that you like.
There's a forum here specifically for questions about CPs and CP resources outside of the US; if you post there someone will probably have more information for you about where you can buy flytraps and other CPs. Also, the CP FAQ has a list of vendors on it.
Welcome to the forums!
~Joe

thanks seedjar, that was very informative. ive seen pitcher plants being sold at a certain mall here in manila. ill follow your advice and get that one instead.

Nice website tsonkiboy! Noticed you had a couple unknowns. If you can post pics of them on the Identify That Plant forum, some of the memebers of the forum might be able to help ID them for you. The exception might be the small Nep you got. It's a little young yet for the pitchers to show any distinctive features, but ya never know.
Have fun!
BCK/Steve

Back