What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exoterra

glider14

Always a newbie
well i have this large exoterra terrarium that i used to use but now its just sitting there. i want to make it into a vivarium type of structure. the dimensions i think are 18 x 18 x 24. so its large. what i want to make it like a planted highland terrarium but with the plants in pots and the pots in the substrate. thats not the problem though. the problem is my lighting. what kind of lighting am i going to need for the neps (which would be about 17in from the top) to grow well and attain good color, while still being cool enough to grow the plants? how would i situate them?

Thanks!
Alex

those things are expensive! super cool though...

what are the conditions in the room? so we can kind of gauge how much cooling your going to need to do :)

-Chris

my grow room is in my basement. it gets very cool. the temperatures right now are ideal for all of my plants. the most cool demanding being lowii, aristo and izumiae. they are all doing well and i want to keep it that way. haha. i just need something thats bright enough but also not going to over heat the tank. i have been using normal 40watt tube fluorescents but that would be impractical for the dimensions of the tank..

Alex

I'd recommend the use of some daylight cfl's, obviously the closer to a completely clear bulb the less heat it will emit, these cfl's are good for smaller situations where tubes are inefficient not to mention they dont put off much heat... if it gets too hot with them there you can always keep them not sitting directly on the glass and then the heat shouldnt be an issue at all...the bulbs I've got only raise my temp about 4 degrees

ExoTerra makes a CF hood that is adapted for use with those tanks. Check their site but you can pick them up at Petsmart easy enough. That should probably fit your bill

Back