What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever wondered how a Darlingtonia trap works? What it looks like to a bug?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
Well, here's your answer!
1stImport111.jpg

1stImport112.jpg

1stImport110.jpg

1stImport104.jpg

1stImport113.jpg

Cool new perspective shots, Adam! Great job! :D

Thanks! I actually haven't checked on this plant in a week... I guess I should!

Hi Adam. Interesting perspective shots, but I can't help but feel a little bad for the plant. Maybe you can feed the open pitcher some bugs for its trouble.

Yea,
I never cared for brain surgery, and now I know why! :-))

I did that to a cobra pitcher back when I was a kid and first learning...
or to some Sarr pitchers that had browned and were being cut off at the end of the season.
Interesting to see, isn't it. Do feel sad for it now however.

I would use this opportunity to feed the plant as Brokken pointed out.
In fact when pitchers start browning, I sometimes do that to introduce bugs or fish food into them
(the ones in the greenhouse and not able to catch any). Just don't overfeed or you could cause problems.

It's amazing that the Cobra Plant has such a complex trap design, yet it hasn't evolved yet to have digestive enzymes. Even Brocchinia Reducta can produce at least one enzyme.

I did feed it, a fruit fly. I actually put plastic wrap over the side of the one pitcher and watched the fruit fly try to escape. Don't worry, they were browning pitchers.

It's amazing that the Cobra Plant has such a complex trap design, yet it hasn't evolved yet to have digestive enzymes. Even Brocchinia Reducta can produce at least one enzyme.

I recently read that they discovered at least one enzyme in cobra plants.....wish I remember where I found the article. :scratch:

Back