What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Escapees! every one of my birds loose!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not to mention their lack of brains.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But theyr as dumb as the preverbial door knob.
are you SURE? I know most people greatly understimate other animal intelligence. for example lovebirds. I read in many places that they would very probably never learn to step on your finger and stuff, but not only do they step on our fingers (when THEY want to ;) ) but call us when they just want company, treats, to go to bed, to annoy us (LOL)... They also (believe it or not) try not to poop on their cage. We've seen them run out of their cage and kind of back up to the edge of their cage and THEN poop so that it would land away from their cage, then go back inside to finish eating or whatever they were doing.
also with guineapigs... I have one and he follows us, he squeals for food, he squeals for us to let him come inside (he's usually out in the balcony), etc...
most people keep lovebirds and guineapigs locked in a cage so they don't get to see their brains and think they don't have any.
now... I don't know with finches... and I do think you have to keep THEM in cages (big cages :p) otherwise they'd fly away and get themselves killed, but maybe they're smarter than you think.
even chickens and cows, which are so "common" are underestimated. They have their own personalities and degrees of smartness just like humans...

Well i admit that whie out one of the males who i dont let breed swooped down close to my head and landed a big peice of poo right into my hair, and then flew up agin to rejoin the others. What i mean  by complex relationships with eachother is that the flocks reletionships bwtween wach member seems almost as complex as human relationships is some regards. They are advantogous, looking for any way to assert their skills and show off to their own and other potentaol mates, and appeir to have very simple problem solving skills ( like, how they can yank stray peices of nesting material from the undersides of nests, grabbing them in midair)

But in when to comes to complex emotions, like revenge, i dont know. It can appeir as such emotions occur at times, but i think its just me putting (or paraphrasing) more human feelings, reasons and emotions into their actions.

Copper, thats very unfortunate what happened to you and your bird. I can understand what that feels like, and i am sorry that it occured.

speaking of revange reminded me of Mango.
Mango is the dominant bird of the two, so he deals with all the "interspecies" relations :p Caribe just sits there while he calls for food/to go to bed (they have a separate cage so the lights and noises don't bother them at night).
A long time ago, they used to have their little rituals and they hate not getting it their way.
well, sometimes they wanted ME (and only me) to go for them and get them to bed, and sometimes they wanted my MOM (and only her) to do it.
This particular time it was my mom's turn, and she was with a neighbor or something... so anyway, they started calling for *her* to "drive" them to bed. since she wasn't there, I went instead... they didn't jump to my shoulder, so I began watching TV. they kept calling, I kept going, they never came. well, I was about to FORCE them to come with me so they'd shut up, (lol
biggrin.gif
) when my mom comes. I told her they wanted *her* and didn't want to come with me so she goes up to them, and offers her shoulder. well, they were furious by this time. Neither of them jumped on and then Mango began pouring it all out! He began screaming like crazy and (I wish you could have seen it... I'm not good at explaining) and he sort of took a little step, jumped, and thrust his head up ... he looked really proud.
ofcourse we were laughing our heads off because it was just so darn funny!
well, he finished, he came to the edge of the cage, and jumped on like someone that has just had a weight taken off their shoulders (caribe did too).

the funny thing is that they never did that again. (in 3-4 years? since that happened) maybe because we were laughing at them, maybe because he's just more forgiving, maybe because now they like us more, who knows?

he was also funny (again, a long time ago) because sometimes we came late or something so they had to wait for us to take them to bed, and one or two days later he didn't even face us. We had him on our shoulder and he was facing away from our face... we would try to kiss him but he would just turn...
it was funny
smile.gif

but he hasn't done much of that lately.

They also figured out that chubby (the guineapig) was scared of them and now every time they see him they run towards him to scare him away. That really annoys me because chubby is just lying there resting and they go and bother him.... but oh well. None of them get hurt, so there's nothing to worry about.

Back