What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Epiphytic Utric Pics!

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
Ok, I tooks some photos of my epiphytic utrics today. I'm quite happy with them. :-O

Here's my U. Reniformis "Giant" from Triffid Park, AU. I'm thinking of repotting it. Those are 10"+ long leaves you're seeing there.

IMG_6610.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

Here's my Alpina "Pitter Moon".

IMG_6616.jpg

IMG_6618.jpg

Here's my Asplundii. I noticed there is something growing off it that I am not familiar with.

IMG_6632.jpg

What on earth is this??

IMG_6631.jpg

My pathetic Reniformis "Typical"...

IMG_6635.jpg

Trying to get away from the slime mold taking over the pot...

IMG_6639.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Man, they look great! That U. Reniformis "Giant" is awesome! It kind of reminds me of the top of sarracenia flava.

Mmmm... Chocolate chip cookies... Great pictures. I really enjoy the U. Reniformis "Giant". What are the holes in the cups for? Drainage? Or poking and prodding? Or to see when the substrate is breaking down? All of the above?! lol.

xvart.

Thanks guys.

@ Xvart - I'm not exactly sure why I put holes there. I saw Rattler's pots and decided that was the way to go. :p lol. It probably helps let air in, let stolons grow out, etc.

Anyways, I forgot to add a pic of my whole Asplundii setup. I'm using Pyro's technique, except I'm using the cheapest pots I could find, not the fancy ones he has.

0427081056.jpg

Nice pics - awesome black Paph in the background of the last one! Looks like you've got a great windowsill going there.
~Joe

What's underneath the live LFS?

the "What on earth is this??" is just stolons(or rolons if yah prefer) growing....nothing odd about it.......the alpina and most of the other Orchidioides section Utrics will do it that i have seen.....

Thanks Joe. That is Paph. Macabre.

What's underneath the live LFS?

In which pot?

Thanks rattler for telling me what it is. Should I cut it off and try to propagate with it?

U. alpina especially, but any of the utrics.

leave it to keep growing.....its best usually to wait to do a division or any thing like that till yah can get a mix of leaves stolons and tubers........as i said in the pm asplundi can be frustrating with its cycles of growth and die back and i have no clue what sets the cycles off.....in my basement the conditions are about as stable as they can get and it still ran through a couple cycles a year of growth and die back when i had it......the alpina, endresii, alpina x endresii beside it dont really go through such cycles, or atleast if they do they arent as pronounced.......

Hey Jeff,

It should be 'Pittier Moon' (note the second "i" :) )

Also, on the potting method, it looks like the clear "pot" is full of water, is that correct? If so then you are using a different technique than me :) Though it seems to be working for you.

And to cover what Rattler mentioned about asplundii and others growth cycles... All the plant in Orchidioides have cycles but some of them are extremely cryptic. I have multiple clones of endresii and some have never cycled and others have cycled numerous times. Ditto asplundii. In some cases the cycle is so "mild" that unless you have been growing these for a long time you might miss it. In other cases the plants drops so fast you might think they had died. Basically these are plants that need to be observed often, like orchids. You can not just leave them and expect them to thrive.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Pyro, you're right, it looks like that is full of water, but it isn't.

It's just the really crappy camera phone photo. ;) Oh and thanks for correcting my tag.

@ Jimscott - I can't quite remember, but I think it's coco chips on the bottom half of the pot and pure LFS on the top half with a layer of live LFS.

The Asplundii is in pure, live LFS. I just repotted the Reniformis in 1/3 granite chips, 1/6 LFS, 1/3 peat and the rest styrofoam and orchid chips. Schell even recommends making 1/4 of the mix garden potting soil.

Back