What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enough light in office?

Thanks to the sale, a bunch of my coworker (newbies) would like to have sarrs in their office. I don't want to set them up for failure...I'm wondering if conditions would be alright, and I'm most concerned about the light. Temps are 70-75, humidity 55-65. Light...each person has at least 3 open panels above them at about 8ft up. They're all about 3' from each other. They have reflective grids and are open so that you can see the bulbs directly. Each panel has two "U" shaped florescents, Phillips TL70s. It says 6k, that's all the info I can see from here.

What do you guys think? Can we do it?
wink.gif

Thanks!

I'm not sure. I think a young one might be okay, but I've had bad experiences with sarracenia under light (especially stay away from leucophylla, it needs more light than most, but purpurea or psittacina are probably the most likely to handle lower light levels). Dormancy might be an issue as well.

Plants have to be right near the florescents for them to work 8 feet up is way to far . I think you should get some sort of florescents that are right near the plant even compact florescents will work as long as you get a bright one.

_-West-_

They should be going dormant this time of year anyway. Make sure they do, so they continue to thrive next year.

nathaniel,

Sars, like flytraps from PFT are tissue cultured, and have no need of dormancy the first year, it's not bad to give it to them, but if desired, it CAN be skipped.

Just an FYI.

(Not that I reccomend it&#33
wink.gif

Not a snowballs chance I fear. I have some under 8 40 watt flourescents about 8 inches from the lights, and even this isn't enough for strong growth and color. Possibly an office terrarium with a good light 6 inches above it over by the coffee machine, with some sundews and a small Sarracenia purpurea? This way everyone could contribute a plant, and all could enjoy the display. Just a thought :)

Thanks for the advice. We do have bookshelves that are 2 ft under the lights (so the top of the plant would be 1 ft under) which MAY work. I checked around and found out that the lights are on for about 15 hours, so I'm hoping that there might be enough light overall. Plenty of air circulation.

These two coworkers like the look of cps, however I'm not sure how some of the others will react to plants are in the common spaces other than the hallways. Most have nary a plant in their offices. We'll see. Luckily, all of the plants (2 leuco reds, 2 catesbai, 1 judith hindle) can go to good homes if it doesn't work in the offices.

Thanks again!

Back