What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elevator to outter space

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ July 12 2005,11:26)]I meant something like a peer-reviewed scientific publication. I reviewed the links there, and there's not much in it that has been tainted with the marks of science.

The problem with Hubbart curves (which is what the theory that cartoon illustrates is based on) is that they don't really consider technological advancement; which is also why they have to keep revising the projections. The projections are constantly being pushed back, which is why so many of my father's generation no longer pay heed to the alarmists: according to their original predictions, we should already be out of petroleum. So while there's no doubt that things are being depleted that are probably not being renewed, the deadline is constantly being revised.

The great thing about technological advance is it enables greater efficiency and greater utilization of resources. Thus, the GNP of the US has continued to increase, in spite of the fact that the energy consumption didn't increase at a similar rate. There was an article in (i believe) the Wall Street Journal recently pointing out the importance of R&D by citing the fact that the US economy has been able to continue forward in spite of increasing energy costs because of improvements in efficiency.
Yeah like i said i read it sometime a long time ago, and technology has advanced much since then. So we're using less now than we where, it still doesn't change the fact that it is going to end, and pretty soon (definately within my lifetime), and we can continue and use less amounts of it but it's still a non-renewable energy source. The fact that it's going to happen soon makes any new energy sources welcome.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ July 12 2005,4:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ July 12 2005,12:57)]What if the weight on the space end of the tether causes the earth to wobble on its axis and the violent shaking causes earthquakes and tsunamis.  Furthemore, my CPs would slide off the bench and my drink would fall off the table.
Actually the weight on the space end will be just enough to keep the ribbon balanced. And the moons (along with every other satelite's) gravitational pull already causes the earth to wobble.
I think Lauderdale was employing a rhetorical style known as "sarcasm".

Use the answer for future reference
smile_n_32.gif

Suppose Ozzy or I cut the ribbon.  Would the weighted end fly off into space and crash into and destroy out moon?
Without that gravatational pull we would have no tides in the ocean and it is possible, that lack of stress on the earth's surface would lessen the chance of earthquakes and Tsunamis...no more full moons to agitate the crazies...the possibilities for good are endless.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ July 13 2005,9:44)]Suppose Ozzy or I cut the ribbon. Would the weighted end fly off into space and crash into and destroy out moon?
Without that gravatational pull we would have no tides in the ocean and it is possible, that lack of stress on the earth's surface would lessen the chance of earthquakes and Tsunamis...no more full moons to agitate the crazies...the possibilities for good are endless.
It's in the FAQ

http://www.liftport.com/faq1.php#basics4f

"Terrorists (you and ozzy) are unlikely to be able to break the elevator anywhere higher than 15 km or so; it can then be simply flown back down to the anchor by moving some of the counterweight mass a bit further out and will be back in operation in a couple of days."

well in that case i think it's AWESOME!

talk about jetsons!

Back