What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ebay

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
Is ebay good or bad?
I can make money (bid people!)
I can spend money. Lots of money. More money then I have.
I can find iems I want/need.
I can find out about orchids. I can buy orchids for cheap. I can sell orchids.
I can find out about CPs. I can.... CPs. I can ... CPs.

So what's your opinion on ebay?

i use it alot, found lots of good stuff at a decent price. im leary of buying high dollar soft ware at a fraction on there. Darla got ripped off once because of it. but ive bought plants, faceted gemstones, gemstone rough, books, magazines........all kinds of stuff and never had any problems. Darla was trying to get some $800 soft ware for $125, not really surprised she got jipped.

Well I am currently getting some orchids. I don't think that vase is going to sell. Although I was listing it for my mother. Oh well I hope my other items sell.

ive purchased from Jeffs Flasks orchids. gotten some good plants from there. there is a guy in Missoula, Montana who has good orchids too. i can get his name for you this weekend as its on a tag in an orchid that i got from him.

We sold and bought a lot of camera equipment when we made the switch to Canon & digital.  I've bought several international CD's lately for my wife too.  I'd like to say we haven't done a whole lot there, but our rating is ~70 and that's a good bit of activity.

I really like Ebay.I haven't had any bad experiences yet,but I only buy plants from this one nursery here in Canada.Just 2 days ago I bought an Orchid for $3.25C but originally it's $24.99! You gotta be careful tho.*Niki*
smile_m_32.gif

Ebay is good because you can sell items to a specific market the world over. You can also buy items from everywhere and end up spending every dime on there!

Plants:
Be warned that most overseas Nep and Orchid dealers on ebay are not working legal (I.e. no paperwork is supplied with plants, seeds, etc) so it's best that you do not attempt any such purchases outside your country of origin unless you can verify the seller knows what they're doing concerning shipping these plants internationally (tell them to send you a scan of their up to date export permit & number). One member of the nep forum got burned really bad by an overseas ebay deal on some "cheap" Neps even though he had his import paperwork correct he got nailed for the shippers folly.

As far as anything else like toys, videos, books, software, teeshirts, skateboards, etc, it helps to pay attention to the sellers feedback. I think twice about bidding if they have anything less than 97% positive responses overall. If a seller hides their feedback (which you can do), everyone ought to know what that means!
smile_n_32.gif

hmm some of ebays rules on WWII stuff condtridict themselves. Like no Swastics can be shown but they are okay on approved items.

I got booted from ebay for 90 days for selling an old LP recorded by Charles Manson before he became a cult leader (it's a terrible record!). You can sell documentaries and stuff on serial killers but not things they've done...

I have bought a number of orchids on eBay and all were good buys...healthy plants at good prices.

I have had some problems on eBay but far outnumbered by the good experiences. I've met a lot of super nice people too.
smile.gif

The feedback system works pretty well...just make sure you check feedback before bidding and if you have ANY questions at all, contact the seller with your concerns BEFORE bidding.

I have 100% positive feedback for both buying and selling.

eBay brings buyers and sellers together in an efficent way. If someone is determined to be a scum, guess what - they still can be.

Virtually all of my experiences have been positive (so far), but just like any other purchase, do your homework and you will reap the rewards. Don't do any work - caveat emptor...

eBay has put some decent controls in place so unscrupulous people will have difficulty ripping people off and hopefully won't be able to do it for long.

Back