What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy way to cool a lowland tank 5 degrees F

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. My lowland tank is a perfect lowland tank. Very hot and humid. BUT I've got a few plants that don't like it so hot and I'd like to cool it down just 5 (down to about 85 F) degrees so I'd feel a little bit better. I was wondering if I could keep a bottle of RO water in the fridge and mist the terrarium (75 gallons) during the hottest part of the day and just after the lights go off so I could get a little bit more of a temp drop at night. Would this be detrimental? I don't have anything super lowland like N. bicalcarata. I wasn't planning on misting the plants themselves, but rather just misting the air and letting the mist fall. Metal halide really heats up a tank, especially in Georgia. Right now I have a small fan blowing across the water in the bottom of the tank and the windows stay open but it doesn't help that much.

Thanks,

Clint Parsons

I'm sure you have this covered, but you do have fans blowing across the Metal Halides right? That is the only way I keep my aquarium at a decent temp. I don't know about the misting part of your questions though!

Hahahaha no I dont :) Wouldn't that only keep the MH cool and not really do anything for the terrarium? I used an ice pack and it dropped 10 degrees.

Well, it does keep the metal halides cooler, but in turn it tends to keep everything else a lot cooler as well. The heat doesn't have the chance to warm things up as much. At least in my experience. Of course, mine are 400W, so they just generate a ton of heat anyway lol

I know this is an older post but thought I would throw my 2 cents in....

In our experience when using MH it is always good to have a fan blowing on them, we found that it not only keeps the heat level down on the bulbs and tank but it also extends the life of the bulb by just a bit and since they are so expensive every penny saved is a lot. Jeremy has a total of 4 MHs over his reef tanks and keeping fans on them does wonders for temps, both in the tank and in our house.

He also puts fans on the ballasts to keep them running cool instead of hot.

Victoria

Back