What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy plants

other than ventricosa, ventrata, and rafflesiana does any one know any good and beautifull beginner nepenthes?

smile.gif

'Ile de France'...a lot of the hybrids are really easy to keep in a lot of conditions.

Hehe, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All neps and plants in general to me are beautiful.

N. alata comes to mind as a straight species, N. gracilis...actually to tell you the truth, it really depends on who you are. Most neps are pretty easy to take care of in my opinion, the only ones that you really need to look out for are the true and ultra highlanders that need quite a temp drop. Even then, depending on where you live and where you grow, it varies.

of course, all nepenthes are beautiful and a masterpiese from the corners of the mind of mother nature but there are just some that stand out, and only a fraction of those are tolerable to a widfe range of growing conditions
smile_m_32.gif

The N. sanguinea that folks have told me that I purchased from Lowes is very easy.

maxima is nice but needs frequent misting
mad.gif

smile.gif

I have this maxima hybrid that is very easy and beautiful. Pitchers profusely. I might be cutting it soon, and giving out cuttings. But it depends. What your conditions are determine what you can grow. Truncata hybrids are usualy easy.

IMAGE_069.jpg

IMAGE_070.jpg

Like Jimscott said, sanguina is very easy. In my rather limited experiance with nepenthes (6 plants) IT was one of about two that immeadiatly started pitchering when I brought it home. Also Judith Finn is easy to keep alive, the demands to make it pitcher seem to me to simply make it around 60% humidity

Yeah sanguinea is an awesome nepenthes! I love mine so much! The leaves aren't any longer than 5 inches yet and the pitchers are only about an inch long but it has TWO BASAL SHOOTS. It's a really fast growing healthy little guy! I've heard that they get HUGE too! They grow very fast as well, I'm so glad I chose it as my first nep.

N. ramispina has been an easy one for me. it's growing faster then the N. sanguinea.

But does ramispina pitcher as good as sanginea? what is the fastest grower out there ?
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Aug. 12 2005,9:44)]maxima is nice but needs frequent misting
mad.gif

smile.gif
I havnt misted mine for months lol, and it has a lot of pitchers on it
What you can do is top dress the soil with live spaghnum and use a free draining mix, since I did that mine has pitchered a lot more then normal
The spaghnum will provide all the humidity....but it must be kept moist or it wont work

N. Ventrata is the winner by a long stretch!

Nepenthes_2_007.jpg

A single plant pruned and pruned and has overgrown in a fifteen gallon pot in full sun.  

Michael

Nice pic Michael! Does the mailman snatch his hand back after stuffing the box? hehe

Tony

smile_k_ani_32.gif

How many years did that take, Michael? It took my ventrata almost two years just for 2 vines to become 6.

Wow
What a monster of a nep,it sure looks healthy and its flowering like mad,a plant to be proud of for sure.
Bye for now Julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Aug. 13 2005,9:13)]But does ramispina pitcher as good as sanginea? what is the fastest grower out there ?
smile.gif
Well they are tied in pitchers produced, I got the N. ramispina 3-4 weeks after the N. sanguinea, and the N. sanguinea only has one leaf left that can pitcher right now, the N. ramispina is starting to make 3 more pitchers.

Try N. sumatrana, a nice, easy lowland species if you have room for it(it gets huge).
N. veitchii x maxima and similar crosses are nice and tolerant of different conditions.

easy ones for me have been, N. x ventrata, N. x Miranda, N. bongso, N. veitchii "highland/striped peristrome" if i keep it good and humid does wonderful for me as does N. ampularia "speckled". it relly depends on where you live and what temps you keep your house. i have the best luck with hybrids and easy highlanders like the bongso and veitchii cause my house is fairly cool. ppl in Florida will probably have better luck with lowlanders. just depends

I second that comment - your particular environment will have a big impact on what plants do well. Where I live, sometimes the summers are humid, but for the last 3-4 years they've been very dry. Some of the 'easier' species pitcher poorly compared to others in those conditions. Further, some species will grow brilliantly for me for several years, then sulk for several years, then grow well again etc.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of information around is dated, and arises from those species that have been in cultivation for a long time. Accordingly, alata, maxima, ventricosa and sanguinea get referred to often as very easy to grow. But those species have just been commonly grown for a long time, so have built up this entrenched view, because they were being compared to the relatively limited pool of species that were in common cultivation.

Now there are many more species available, and some species which were rare (which people often associate with them being difficult) are now common, and easier to grow than the traditional favourites in certain types of conditions.

All I can say is, try anything that would generally fit in your local conditions, and see if it works for you. What may be a pesky species for someone else may be a breeze for you, and vice versa.

VERY true! i'm overgrown with cephalotus, which alot of people said wouldn't do so great in my lowland setup, yet i live in georgia and can't grow dionaea to save my life!

Back