What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dying heads

• Thread starter Kevention
  • Start date
  • Tags
    leaves
K

Kevention

My Leaves are dying once again, now i only have about two traps left on each plant. I tried leaving them outside in the light for a few hours and some leaves dried up. Is this natural? I ve been using distilled drinking. Is this happening becuase of its nearing its dormant period?

It sounds a bit worrying that new growth is turning black, I take it you are sitting the plant in a tray of distilled water, has the plant been introduced to sunlight gradually?

My plant is growing like a train, but Im in the UK - I dont think dormancy would blacken traps, only slow growth?

Can anyone else help?

Traps frequently balcken with the onset of dormancy as food reserves are pulled into the rhizomes for storage, but it also can indicate cultural problems.

Hi,
I would check for spider mites. These are very tiny creatures that are barely visible and you need to look long and hard to see tuiny little 'dots' move over the leaves.
There is only one treatment when it is advanced as this is to get an accaricide(usually is an ingredient of modern house plant insecticides) and spray your plants twice, one week apart.

Neem Oil ( natural ) would work too!
smile.gif

The traps dying, have you fed them something?

I don't think that the plant would be approaching dormancy uless you are giving it less light and cooler temps.

How much light is the plant receiving daily?

Have you repotted it?

To me, it would seem shock
confused.gif

Spider mites would reside around the base of the plant and not around the traps. ( IMO )

If you have a window that gets good light, place the plant there and give it some time to reover
smile.gif
That would probably be the best thing.

If you are bringing it in and out, and your humidity is low inside and high outside, you could be shicking the plant ( I see it happen to Nepenthes all the time )...that might also explain the dried leaves!

Back