What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dumb question...

what is a "basal shoot"?

It's a point of new growth that forms from the dormant nodes at the bottom of an existing plant (or sometimes from the roots, I think.)
~Joe

basalshoot.jpg

That could be a basal shoot, but given the habits of Pinguicula I'd be willing to bet that it's actually an offset, a new plant that budded off of the glandular surface or stem portion of a leaf.
~Joe

I just love that contrast!

so a basal shoot is kind like what happens when you cut a healthy tree down, little branches pop out of the trunk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_shoot

Well.....it depends where the shoots come from on the tree thing. If they are from the roots they are suckers, if they are from on the stump actually then they are just buds that are growing. Pretty much safe to say a tree doesn't have basals.

so essentially a basal shoot on a nep is just another growing point that pops out from the side of the stem?

It usually appears at the base (the part in the media or close to the media)of the vine that has already grown.
Lois

Not exactly, it kind of appears where the stem meets the roots.

Don't worry too much about basals, Meaven. If the Nepenthes on your growlist start producing them, you won't have them for long anyway - people will kick in your door to trade them with you
smile.gif

Well put Hans, whose door is next?

Back