What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dual sliding door tips

I am looking at building a moderate sized indoor green house for my CP's and my orchids. I know that several people here have made tanks with sliding front doors here before.

What I want to do is make a glass greenhouse with sliding front doors but I have questions on how to make the lower and upper glass pains that the track sits on.

I am wondering if I should use a thicker pain of glass on the top and bottom to allow for the width track or is there a better option?

I am wanting to make a greenhouse that will be approximately 48x18x28. This will be a test tank for a leaf frog tank that want to have done right from the start. If anyone has any tips on this part of the tank build they will be greatly appreciated.

The sliding track can be mounted on the same width glass as the rest of the tank the sliding panes aren't that heavy. Also, finding 1/2" thick glass to match the track isn't easy or cheap I tried that at first too. If you use Amazing Household GOOP brand glue (found at Home Depot in the glass dept.) you can glue the track, the track ends and reinforce the interior seam with it to make it very sturdy. Goop dries clear and rigid instead of flexible like silicone. Beware that silicone lets go of the plastic sliding track after while but Goop is permanent.

This probably seems like a silly question, but why go with glass? Small, clear panels of acrylic or similar plastic would be easier to work with and more readily available at better pricing from any Home Depot or Lowes. Just curious.

Acrylic and plastic scratch and warp pretty easily. Glass on the other hand is robust and resilient.

Oh, no doubt, but if you're careful (and use appropriate cleaners so you don't craze it), acrylic is more readily available and easier to work with and use. The reason you'd see warping is because the sheet you've chosen is too thin (or you're heating it with bulbs). I'd think it would be a lot easier to obtain (or make) than finding a glazier or doing it yourself in glass. Just my 2¢, though.

Back