What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drought...

• Thread starter Dyflam
  • Start date
It's been a little dry here in central Florida. My small swimming pool bog has completely dried up and I'm having problems generating enough RO water for my minibogs and neps. Looks like it's time to start buying water.
smile_h_32.gif

Don't worry.  The rainy season will start the first of next month...only five more days.  The latest it has ever started is June 5.
smile.gif
...at least here in South Florida.

We have been in drought here for years.  This one is to be the worst yet.  We have been having some rain, but it is not nearly enough.  To make up are water table we would have to have it rain everyday for four months solid.
smile_t_32.gif

I have every sympathy. We had drought for 2 years here...first year it got to "extreme drought" and the second moved into "exceptional drought"--the highest drought rating. It just did not rain...and if it did, it was a sprinkle. Trees were dying everywhere. I lost 75% of my gardens because I couldn't keep up with the watering. My gardens will never recover.
smile_h_32.gif

So...I hope that your drought ends soon. I have plenty of rainy thoughts so I'll send 'em down your way.

Buying water? You'd better buy in bulk or ren t a resevoir, its gonna cost a ton if bought as bottles from the market shelves
smile_m_32.gif

I have three 30 gallon trashcans set up to catch the rain from the gutter.  I going to add a couple more for the greenhouse.  It helps to get the rare rain water.  I condition the water in the small pond.

Rain is welcome, but no more tornados. God Bless the families.

Happier thought.
Hey, I have a inground pool.  Party at my house
smile_n_32.gif

I'm in, copper!
smile_n_32.gif
NO SKINNY DIPPING!
laugh.gif

California has been in drought for like 15 years... Visit the closest resivor, and you can see how the water table dropped like 30 feet... There was a branch in the resivor about 20 feet deep that came along the highway, its gone now!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Water tables are dropping everywhere. Human are sucking thw water from alot of them, but some dropping is natural too.

In texas everyone has started to pump from the rivers, and if conservationists want to save it, the get in big legal battles with the water companiess and people with pumping rights to the river.

I feel bad for people in florida. Isnt the sea supposed to rise in the near future due to melting ice caps? Floridas so low it will be swamped.

Its not just Fl, its most of the coastal areas in the east. I am currently sitting 65 feet above sea level, so I feel safe for the immediate future, or at least until it starts to rain.

Well thats what happens. Most people dont really care about Global warming, do nothing to prevent it, and wont care untill it directly affects their lives in a noticable negetive way.

Dyflam, I am just north of you, in Ocala - a week or so ago when it rained (seems like it only happens on the weekend) I threw every empty container I had out to collect rain, and still only got about a gallon and a half.

Wow, this smiley face looks just like me...
smile_h_32.gif

It's uncanny...

I keep two 75 gallon rain barrels in the back yard to have a supply. Even though it hasn't rained in a few weeks (I'm in Fl. too) both are still about 1/4 full. They blend in well with the landscape and come in handy. just a thought.

As dry as it is here I was out a couple nights ago and right at dusk mosquitoes started swarming. AAAAAGGGHHH!
I hate mosquitoes...
mad.gif

O... and thanks for the happy thoughts.
smile.gif

Hello,
Hmmm, I thought I was sick of all the rain up here in the Seattle area. As of right now its pouring rain, only if ya'll could have that elsewhere....good luck.
Kevin

Still no rain and now it's 96 degrees and about 26% humidity. Doesn't take long for things to dry up under those conditions.
mad.gif

Back