What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well my "first" carnivorous plant (this is not including the lowes stuff) was Drosophyllum seed of which I managed to germinate 3 of 12 seeds. Which admittedly was only 25% but I only had room for 4 plants anyway. These plants were small and not doing expecially well until I moved them outside over this winter. They have grown rapidly. I put the pots in the ground so I would not have to water 5 times a day. After a month one plant died by the base of all the leaves turning brown and then the plant died. When I pulled the pot up I dizcovered that a mole or something had broken through the clay side and I figured it dextroyed the roots. The second plant also had the base of the leaves turn brown about 4 months after being put outside. Then it accidentally got dit with the nextdoor lawnmans lawn mower. The thrid plant I am sad to report has today after 7 months turned brown at the base of all the leaves. I have no idea why. Anyone have any ideas?

Your plants are in the ground? Could fertilizer, pesticides, etc. be leaking in from the surrounding area?

Sounds like what is happening to my filiformis. When it grew too big the bottom of its leaves began to suddenly turn reddish-brown and the whole thing would flop over. Might humidity be the problem? At that time half the plant/leaf was sticking out of the terrarium.

Yes fertilizer might be a possibility. The last time I checked I saw 3 dead and rotten fly coccoons in my filiformis pot...
smile_l_32.gif
Natural fertilizer perhaps?

I don't think humidity can ever be a problem with Drosophyllum. I grow the plant here with full exposure to the Sou. Ca. Inland Empire fury.

No fertilizer that I can think of. But why would it not effect three identical pots right next to eachother. I live in Florida so nutrient rich soil must be bought (no joke) and I (not has anyone near me) fertilized since I put them in the ground.

If you buried the pot in the ground w/o any protection from other soils, then things are bound to happen, the list is endless... could be chemicals from the lawn, dirty water, ect...

Back