What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum ?

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
Of the five seedlings that sprouted from Jeremiah's seeds this spring I have 1 hearty survivor  
confused.gif
. This one seedling is about 4" now (and really tends to lean). I have been wondering about its apical growth for the past few weeks. I checked it this morning and it has a beautiful yellow flower!!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Now, I want to know if this is normal. Is my plant happy or dying? Can I self the plant? If so, How? How long will the flower last? What........well, I will stop here for now.
Please help enlighten me!

My plant is going on 2 years now and has never flowered.
smile_h_32.gif

I've heard that Drosophyllum sometimes flower early and then kick the bucket. How many months have you had it? If it's past six months or so, then it might just be flowering as normal. If it's younger than that, though, I'd snip that flower before your plant tuckers itself out. It sounds to me like it's a little small to be flowering at this point.
If I recall correctly, Jeremiah did his last Drosophyllum offering around the time that I started my seeds, and my plants are a good ten inches across or so. It could be that your plant is flowering because it's recieving inadequate light or doesn't like its soil/water conditions and it wants a do-over. You could try to get seed from it and start them, but not only would that risk your seedling, there's no guarantee that it'll set seed and not abort.
Best luck,
~Joe

Back