What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum newbie with a questions

Cindy

Staff member
I have gotten myself some seeds and will try and germinate them in various ways recommended by the experts here.

How do you guys grow Drosophyllum during autuum or winter when the weather is either wet and dark or cold and dark? It's monsoon season here right now and if (I know the chances can be very low) the seeds germinate, I don't want to lose them immediately.

Anyone has grown Drosophyllum in lowland Nepenthes haven i.e. warm and humid conditions?

Thanks in advance!

Just an update. It's been a week since I followed Joenz's instructions for germination.

The seeds are cut on the sides with a scapel and the tip sliced until some white is exposed. Some of the tips of seeds are "enlarging" as described by him. I'll try and get a close-up pic of the seeds this weekend.

God you're brave. I'd be afraid I'd cut it in half.

As promised, the pics of the seeds. According to what Joenz described, the tip is definitely growing. It's a pity he has not been active on this forum since 2003.

drsplm_seed1.jpg

drsplm_seed2.jpg

drsplm_seed3.jpg

Congratulations.

I always just sand the seed coat some. Maybe I'll try a couple with just cutting the tips once and see how that works.

More pics

drsplm_seed4.jpg

drsplm_seed5.jpg

Are you still letting the seed sit in water?
How long has that been?

I soaked some seed for 36 hours. Looked as if the where swelling a little at the tips, so I placed them in my pot.

They are still in water. :crazy:

There's a little bit of fungus though...the thread-like ones. I manually remove them when I change the water...once in afternoon and once at night. But the seeds are all still looking pretty good.

What's an effective way of going from water germination environment to a pot?

Back