What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum in peat

hey guys, I got some drosophyllum seeds today, I would like to know if I could grow this in peat or if I have to use the regular mix

I grow mine in a alkaline mix of perlite, play sand, and vermiculite.

I recommend this link: Drosophyllum

to anyone growing or planning to grow this species.

I hear they grow in a more sandy soil. Sand, vermiculite, perlite, and stuff like that, all kept damp.

I grow Drosophyllum outdoors in mixes of sand:peat:perlite, sand:perlite and pure silica sand. My favorite mix so far is pure silica sand. The perlite tends to float to the top of the mix over time. In nature, this plant grows in acidic soil.

playsand - peat --> 7 : 1
I use this, and it works very very very good!

CPK,

Any pics? That goes for anyone else growing this, as pics are not that common.
When I saw this thread, I thought Joseph was going to explain how he grows this plant in straight granulated peat or live sphagnum with the water level up to the soil level.....
smile_l_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

I can't believe I did that, after rolling my eyes after so many posts of people looking for pics.....(picks up dunce cap and places on head).

Thanks, Bob.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Jan. 05 2005,1:37)]I can't believe I did that, after rolling my eyes after so many posts of people looking for pics.....(picks up dunce cap and places on head).

Thanks, Bob.
LOL

Here's a new picture that Bob will not have on his site yet. I just took earlier tonight and posted just now.
Not the greatest picture. Potted in a 8" pot.

133Drosophyllumhq.jpg

I probably should not say that mine is in an alkaline mix of perlite, play sand, and vermiculite. I truely have no idea at what pH it is at. I thought that all of these materials were alkaline in nature. Doing a quick search I can find pH info of perlite and vermiculite, which can be either alkaline of acidic:
http://www.vermiculite.org/properties.htm
http://www.perlite.net/redco/basic.htm

While I'm at it, I posted this one not all that long ago.

133DrosophyllumHQ550.jpg

I grow this plant in a south facing sliding glass door.

I too use sand, perlite, and vermiculite. I reccamend starting the plant off in peat pots placed in a controlled enviroment. Transplanting could be fatal to the plant from what I heard. Well good luck. This is probably the most rewarding species to grow once you get the plant estabalished.

I have transplanted 4-5in diameter plants from styrofoam pots(3in diameter drinking cups) to clay pots. I peeled off the styrofoam being careful not to damage the roots pushing against the side and bottom of the pot. I do the same with Byblis.
During the summer, one of my 12in+ diameter Drosophyllum was completely uprooted when the clay pot tipped over. I repotted the plant and placed it in a shaded area until it started producing new growth, then slowly adjusted the plant to full sun. It took over a month before the plant looked like before.

As deep as possible.

I got my seeds from kirk and they germinated in a mix of 2 parts perlite: 1 part peat: 1 part LFS

It is in a clay pot that is 7 inches across and 10 inches deep. Temps are 78-85 degrees. FULL sun:)

Back