What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera

does any body know what the drosera species look like in Illinois ?
confused.gif

Droserae endemic to Illinois are rotundifolia and intermedia
which may be found in the following counties: Cook, Iroquois, Kane and Kankakee in bog/wetlands found there. You should be advised that these plants are endangered in these habitats, and any collection of plants or seeds is both illegal and unethical. This being said, I wish you luck in finding and seeing them. As to what they look like, a simple web search using the names as headers will provide many photos. Try http://www.gogettem.com/. Should you have desire to cultivate these plants I would be pleased to provide seed to you for a SASE. If interested contact me at tamlindd@yahoo.com

Yup, rotundfolia and intermedia (temperate forms) live there in bogs and other peaty areas. Many of these places are being killed off by building of stuff by humans....stupid humans! j/k
smile.gif

I have no intentions on taking them from the wild I was just curious.

Shaun,

No offense intended
smile.gif
I just wanted you to know the score. There are many areas where these species can be found in the millions, sadly Illinois is not one of those places. In a very real sense, habitat evolution is leading to declining numbers as well as human "progress": bogs were formed in the last ice age, but are now evolving into hardwood forests, a natural process. Not to worry though, things will pick up again after the next ice age!

I know i should have put it a better way i just like to look at them
biggrin.gif

Back