What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera unknown -Scored At Lowes-

I got this at Lowes as well as a bunch of other goodies, anywho... I'm not sure what this is, my first guess was D. madagascariensis (sp?) (although my memory of what D. mad looks like was COMPLETELY off.) My friend thinks it's an adelae. I've never seen an adelae grow like this before, also the flowers look to be pink and not red, but honestly I don't know.

DmadID2.jpg

Notice the little baby growing on that root down in the bottom right-hand corner? I can't believe how healthy it is, they must've JUST got the shipment in because all of the CPs I got were in really good condition, or at least they were compared to what I've seen in the past.

It's an adelae. The Lowe's plastic cubes have strange effects on their growth :p Plus if memory serves it's the only species of drosera they sell.

Oh so that's why it's like that? I actually like that it grows this way, I hope it continues to grow like this. I guess since the cubes are small they tend to grow up instead of out, i even searched google and I didn't see any adelae that looked even remotely like this. Oh well, now I have two adelae. A cool tree-ish one and a normal one. I'm happy. :)

Thanks for the ID.

Oh and also, I think they have capensis at Lowes too but it could just have been another weird adelae. Maybe there's some kind of art to growing adelae like this?

that's lack of light.. give it more it will be normal. keep giving it "none" and it will be a D. adelae var tree haha

That makes me think of the "Bonsai Kitten" hoax, some website that was supposed to selling kittens that were raised in square bottles and given a chemical to soften their bones so you'd have a cube shaped cat. Looks like the site has been shut down finally.

You can get square melons in Japan and now the UK though

melonPA_228x192.jpg

I once posted a "what am I" picture... it was guessed pretty quickly... anyway here it is:

whatami.jpg

I am so tempted to keep it like a tree. I guess then it grows UP to get closer to the light?

Indeed.

The reason it's trying to flower is because it's etiolated as hell. Wants to get it's seeds out before it goes, at least, before a Superhero (you) flew through the doors of Lowe's as people gasped in shock as you snatched the adelae off the shelf, knocking down a few cacti on the shelves in the process as you tossed the money on the cashout and flew off.

If you were to rub the dew off of it's leaves, it would make no more. That was when it was healthy. Sad, idn't it?

nope- Pinguicula esseriana I've never owned a P. primaflora haha

The D. adelae from the cubes are like always etiolated and it just take a few weeks of proper care from the leaves to recover.

Back