What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera spatulata

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I have a Drosera spatulata. It is in a bright shaded spot. I was given it free from a garden center, looked terrible. It is starting to recover. I have read that Drosera need full sun. I worry about putting my Drosera spatulata in full sun because I killed a Drosera adelae giving it full sun. The afternoon sun here in Pennsylvania is intense. My VFT's and sar's love it. I just worry that after cooking my Drosera adelae that the same would happen to my Drosera spatulata. Were do most of you grow your Drosera spatulata?

I grow my D. spatulatas in full sun and they grow very well. The more sun they get the redder they become. Unlike the D. adelae, D. spatulata plants commonly grow in exposed areas here in Australia. You're adelae wouldn't have liked the sun because it is essentially a rainforest plant accustomed to low light levels.

D. spatulatas grown in shadier environments are generally larger, greener plants. They don't mind a bit of shade but don't give them too much. Personally I like the nice crimson red coloration you get from the full sun.

Check out the following image of a D. spatulata I photographed in the wild in Sydney last week. It was growing in a very sandy soil out in the open receiving full sun without an ounce of shade all day. There is plenty of moisture in the soil which keeps the humidity very high.

Drosera%20spatulata%20nsw2.jpg

Cheers,

Sean.

Check out my new website on- http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~kirstyspence/

Sean,
That is one sweet 'dew! Great color.

elgecko,
My spats do quite well with about 6 or so hours of direct morning sun, and bright conditions the rest of the day. Your trouble with adelae is just what Sean mentioned...that is one of the few 'dew species that doesn't like too much direct sun.

Wow.. what a difference full sun makes. After reading this thread I moved my spat outside to a spot where it gets about 4 hours of early morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day. The very first leaf that opened up after the move is dramaticaly redder and the leaves that are following look to be at least as impressive. Thanks for the tip
smile.gif

Steve

Back