What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera sessilifolia

Well this shot just makes me yearn for summer it looks so firey.

Drosera_sessilifolia_6_r_2.jpg

That is so cool looking Tamlin!  Looks like it's trying to reach out and grab you
tounge.gif

smile.gif
.  How large is the plant?

Lovely photograph, it certainly lives up to its latin name too.

Andrew

My my is that a beaut!
smile.gif
My D. sessilifolia is now only a memory...

reminds me of the long outer tenticles of burmannii. nice plant. my seedling sess. died on me though

The plant was a little bigger than a quarter. I have seedlings that are doing well of it, so hopefully I can provide this season.

What a beautiful plants and photo!  It does remind me of D. burmannii too.  Such long, hungry tentacles.

Thats a beauty!

Suzanne

What a beauty! I can't wait for my little ones to reach that size... hopefully it won't be to long, they are healthy and growing fast.

-noah

Great photo and plant! I'll have to add that to my want-list (and desktop&#33
wink.gif

Hi Tamlin,

Any idea approximetally how much longer before these reach maturity?

sess.JPG

Noah, its good to know those little guys are still alive. Good job on taking care of them!
smile.gif

Larry,

My compliments on successfully distributing this seed! It is great to see *something* has come from the numerous seed packs I have sent out. I will probably get seed from some additional Brazillian species this season: D. montana var tomentosa, D. sp Emas, D. graminifolia "Caracca", D. villosa (appears to be the type&#33
wink.gif
, D. capillaris Praia do Imbe, and possibly D. communis and D. kaieteurensis if the plants mature quickly. I think I may also have D. arenicola, but this is unconfirmed until the plants flower. When I do, you will be one of the first to receive the seed. I hope between our mutual efforts we can place this seed in as many collections as possible, and help bring these plants into the hands of the many growers worldwide who are yearning to grow them. Good work Bro!

Thanks Tamlin, can't wait!  
smile.gif

I immediately sowed the seeds you sent me, but I had enough successful seedlings to distribute to some people. I love distributing seeds/plants.

Yes, Thanks so much Larry!

This goes for everyone... the more you share, the more genetic diversity and population stability. The risk of losing plants is smaller if you have a circle of friends to whome you can distribute plants/seeds. If all of your plants die, they may be able to spare some to give back to you. If you keep all your plants, then death's sting is greater since you didn't spread the plant around.

Sitting on a plant, no matter how rare, is doing no one a favor... and this includes yourself. If you truly care about these plants, then you will want to see as many people get joy out of them as possible. Spreading them around through trades and gifts ensures that.

For example, a very knowledgable CP friend of mine (Ivan Snyder) developed a Drosera hybrid.  He gave several seedlings away to another friend. A short while later, all of his plants died. However, since he had been generous in giving, the hybrid still exists in cultivation today and he has received some of this plant back.

So a big thanks to all of you responsible plant sharers
smile.gif

Now, I have a question. This is probably the wrong topic for this, but I recently saw a listing for D. aliciae var. sessilifolia. I am assuming this is not the same plant. Does anyone know anything about this strain?

-noah

Noah,

Well said! I remember Dr. Barry Meyers-Rice reply to the question "What is the best way to store seed?" Barry said the very best way to store it was to "send it to as many growers as possible". So elegant and so true.

Regarding the D. aliciae var. sessilifolia: it is a bogus name. It could refer to just about anything. Here again is a case where registering this name would do a service to the community. Had this been done, I could at this point refer you to a photograph and detailed description. The name implies a variety of D. aliciae lacking in petiole, beyond this no one can say.

Back