What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera scorpioides

I'm still trying to finalize what I want to order in to create my first little terrarium (probably the 3 gallon from here).  You guys have been great help so far....so I was hoping you could be a little more.
wink.gif

I've been reading a lot about the Drosera Scorpioides, but it seems like what I see most of the time is comments on how cool it is and not much actual info about it.  Can anyone tell me how big they get (would one fit in this little 3 gal PFT terrarium when fully grown)?  Also, are they hard to take care of or could a beginner like me do okay?

Then comes the second big question: where the heck do I get one?  I can't find any here, on froogle.com, or at any cp stores I've looked at online so far.  I know I could wait and hope for someone to trade, but I'm impatient
tounge.gif
.  Besides, I don't have anything to trade.  Anyone know a site that sells them?  I realize they'll probably be expensive since they seem to be so rare, but if it's something that won't die on a beginner like me I don't really mind paying a little extra.

Thanks again!

Drosera scorpioides is an Australian pygmy species, growing in the Australian wet winter. The gemmae season in AUstralia is now, so if you know of any folk down under they might be able to provide gemmae.

It is a poor candidate for terrarium culture, reguiring very strong light, prefers cool conditions and does not require the humidity a terrarium provides. They are pretty much outdoor plants.

Plants ship poorly, having long thin hairlike roots which are easily damaged in transplant, which is why they are seldom found in nursery catalogs.

I sent out lots of gemmae last season to growers worldwide, so I think you should have some success in getting some gemmae this winter. Gemmae are really the only way I know of to establish the species in your collection.

Tamlin,

Thanks for the info. You know, I think you've replied to every post I've made so far...I do appreciate it.

That's a little depressing to hear. Maybe in a few years I'll be better equiped to try growing one though, in spite of those difficulties.

Do you happen to know anywhere I could go to learn about all the different species so I can choose one to try? I want something small so it will fit in the terrarium, but the spathulata they sell here seems absolutely tiny and I find myself wandering if it could actually even catch something as large as a common fly. So I'm trying to figure out what Sundew will fit well (size), require a dormancy like my VFTs that will share the terrarium, and preferrably curls its leaf around its prey quickly (the fun part)...and looks cool, of course. Know any online resources that could help me out there? Can you suggest any Species?

Once again, thank you.

I would say go for Drosera capensis, it's leaves curl dramatically, and it can catch a housefly, and it is probably the easiest CP to care for!
smile.gif
Spathulata isn't that small, but it may or may not be able to catch a housefly, depending on age, size, etc. Drosera scorpiodes is pretty darn small compared to what you're looking for... I hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK with your CP adventure!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Hi,

Not to disagree with Tamlin, but I have grown scorpiodes in high humidity, and high heat on top of that. I'm currently growing it outdoors (temps into the 90's by day but cooling a little during the night) in a covered container to keep the humidity high - so far so good. The container is in shade to part sun all day, but the light level is rather high all the same.

scorpioides.JPG

As to beginner drosera, as LM said spatulata and capensis are both easy to grow and quite beautifull and fun, though I find capensis requires rather high light levels, so might not succeed in a terrarium.

take care,

-noah

Nicholas,

'Can anyone tell me how big they get (would one fit in this little 3 gal PFT terrarium when fully grown)? '

My largest plants, which are now in their third year are about 4 inches tall. They are in a very large pot, which they share with my D. regia, they are kept in fairly humid conditions, but nothing like those experienced in a terrarium.

scorpiodesmeasure.jpg

Vic

Thanks for all the replies. Now I'm armed with some good direction for today's research...gotta make sure I know how to take care of the plants before I get them.
smile.gif

Vic, that is a beautiful plant. Congrats

Back