What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera schizandra - cool dew

Cindy

Staff member
I kept two plants since December last year and recently passed them to their owner. Not unlike the D. adelae, it regenerates from the roots very readily.

Plant 1 - died down to nothing within 2 weeks of arrival but check out the offshoots!!! It's not easy to spot them but there are at least 8 of them. :boogie:
drosera_schizandra.jpg

drosera_schizandra1.jpg

drosera_schizandra2.jpg

Plant 2 - died back too but produced two decent-sized offshoots
drosera_schizandra3.jpg

drosera_schizandra4.jpg

I've been hunting for this dew since day 1.. What I'd give to be that kind of babysitter.

I absolutely love when people post pictures of this plant. It looks like nice, big, leafy lettuce with dew on it.

So it acts more like D.regia regenerating from the roots the way it does. It would seem really easy to cultivate this species then. I wonder why it's so rare in the hobby.. in the states anyways.

it doesn't like full sun, maybe cooler humid conditions. sort of like intermediate to HL neps, Any damage to the leaves and it starts pouting and it stops being dewy. humbug to feed, but looking at Brian's technique for feeding it it might not be so hard. Fertilizers are poison.....

I want a Schizandra, but I think it won't like my growing conditions (very bright CFL, temps at about 90F).

Heck, my Adelae seems to be struggling in these conditions. I had to repot it in a more airy medium (pure sphagnum instead of peat), put it in the shadier part of my terrarium and closer to the air gaps where it would be cooler than the rest of the terrarium.

It seems to be doing better, but I still think Schizandra wouldn't like these conditions.

D. schizandra appreciates cooler conditions (mine are typical tropical lowland), like D. prolifera. I've grown all three with D. adelae the longest. D. schizandra did well for me for about 6 months then died suddenly when the hot weather came round. D. prolifera was about 4 months.

D. schizandra is hardy and won't mind fertilising if done correctly. The one I had grew very quickly from 4" to 6" with fertilisers.

It seems that all of these "Queensland sisters" hate changes. Move a D. adelae and POOF!, it can collapse into mush. D. schizandra is the same. D. prolifera...I treated it like a princess so it didn't undergo such shock. It still died though. :blush:

D. adelae is grown outdoors. In direct sun; temperatures around 90F. Very nice deep maroon.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Oops, I forgot to add that D. schizandra was grown in shade. No direct sunlight at all. Temperature range was 72F-84F. My balcony will heat up further this season so they will be better off to their buyer who intends to keep them in an air-conditioned room.

Oops, I forgot to add that D. schizandra was grown in shade. No direct sunlight at all. Temperature range was 72F-84F.
Wow! Those temps are usually in the danger zone for my plants. Schizzies do usually give you a second chance with root plantlets cropping up after a crash - but not always.

Similar to D. regia, if you count on being able to get the plant back from the roots, one time it may not work.

D. schizandra is hardy and won't mind fertilising if done correctly. The one I had grew very quickly from 4" to 6" with fertilisers.
After growing them for many years, I also saw a significant upside in growth when I gave them something to eat.

After seeing my pampering results, if D. regia is the king, I definitely believe that D. schizandra is the queen of the dews. :hail: Very impressive species!
I've been hunting for this dew since day 1.. What I'd give to be that kind of babysitter.
Like last year, I suspect that there's a good chance to find one in the same place Brian found his - the upcoming NASC auction...

Last edited:
Looks like i need to try some root cuttings on my schizandra! I attempted leaf cuttings which too a long time and only amounted to a few weak sprouts. Love this plant :)

You're doing very well with the species. I've had 2 plants and killed both, after a few months. They really should do well on the window sill in the one bedroom,, which is more bright shade and relatively cooler temps, but not for me.

Last edited:

Peter D'Amato sold some on his nursery site last year. They cost around $20

Back