What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera regia

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
Actually I've grown mine continuously for almost 3-1/2 years now with the first 2-1/2 years my nightime ambient temperature never going below 75F and the daytime temperatures near the plants around 85-90F. This past year I switched the light cycle over to light them during the natural night and light them during the natural day. This provides them with approximately the same temperature 24 hours per day, around 85-90F. Drosera regia may be a temperate plant in nature but at least the clone I grow seems to have no "need" for a dormancy.

Drosera regia culture page

Joseph,

What I have heard about D. regia is there are two sites. There are the ones on top of the mountain that do better with a dormancy and some only partially up the slope that do not have as cool as temperatures. I sent seed I got of site "B" to a couple of TC people, but I never heard the results. ANyway, one of the forms is definitely smaller than the other. I think Robert Gibson has all the poop on this, if we can entice him into this conversation.

Regards,

Joe

Perhaps Tamlin may be able to engage Robert to share a bit of insight on this subject.

I have made inquiry of Robert and will post the reply when it is received.

The thought on there being two different locale forms makes a lot of sense given the data. I thought i'd share what i heard from Peter at CC today:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for D. regia, it needs chilly nights year round. Our here in California our summer mornings drop to the low 50s even when days hit the 100s, a typical mediterranean climate, so it is great for growing plants like D. regia. If you try to grow it with warm nights you will fail. They get smaller in winter and sometimes die down during frosts. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That definitely suggests that the plant he's growing is not the same locale as the plant PingMan is growing.

Robert Gibson just returned from a holiday in Western Australia with Phill Mann (where was I?!!!) and was kind enough to provide this rely to this most engaging topic!

"The two forms of D. regia come from two locations in the same valley north east of Wellington. The plants in the lower part of the valley (which I visited in July 1997) have plants that are relatively broad in the lamina (about 2-2.5 cm/ 1 inch wide at the base). They have pronounced winter dormancy. The first plants in cultivation came from the lower elevation population and it is thus likely to be the more widespread form in cultivation. Plants from higher up the valley were a later discovery. I saw plants of this form in cultivation at Eric Green's place, along with those of the better known form. This other form has narrower leaves, generally up to 1 cm/ or about half an inch wide at the base. It is said to not go dormant in winter but I suspect this may vary due to local environmental conditions. When I travelled in Germany in October 1997 I saw seedlings of a cross between these two forms of D. regia. I do not know what characters the progeny took from either form but it would be interesting to find out."

He also sent a nice photo of Phill and him standing together. He said he saw over 60 CP species mostly Drosera but also including 8 Utricularia species! I swear that as soon as I can afford it I am going to Australia! Next year its going to be trick-or-treat in the outback! <pant pant>

I am hoping for photos. Holding my breath (!!!): Robert just got a new digital camera, and he has been known to provide me with wonderful accounts of his expiditions in the past. I am honing up my begging skills and if I get the CD I hope for I will find a way to get it up on the web, similar to this one of Robert's expidition with Fernando Rivadavia in Brasil August 2002:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph.....view=t

BTW, it's worth signing up with yahoo (free) just to be able to access the full file photos on this page.

Well, I am sort of off topic here, but I am excited, LOL!!!

With my regia the one thing I have noticed recently is that they grow very fast when fed, each new leaf is nearly twice the size of the last!! 2 big feedings a week of freeze-dried blood worms normaly used for fish food. One has gone from 3" to about 7" in about 3 weeks! I think the warmer weather might of made bit of a difference too
smile.gif

Oh, and did I mention that Utric season is just staring?

George

Utric season is just starting? You tease you, I didn't think it ever ended!

Unfortunatly we don't have any winter flowering Utrics down here in Melbourne, except the odd lateriflora, but flowering season for most is about... now!

Anyone who wants to see some nice Utrics, grab your sunnies and a plane ticket!! The weather is finaly warming up so its a great time to "get out there"...

George

Back