What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Prolifera

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
I have posted this on several forums and to no avail. My recently purchased Prolifera seems to be barely doing well with only two leaves displaying dew.

I cannot find specific care instructions for this particular species. If anyone has grow this plant with great success, please give me some tips.

Also, I do not have a window that is extremely bright and it does not get direct sunlight for a long time.

Please any help, I would love to see this puppy take off.

Do you have a fluorescent light? That would work just fine. Room temp is fine as well.

Yes I do. I tried putting it close to the light, perhaps it was to hot in my Bical terrarium. What about Humidity? I have a tendency to keep my plants pretty wet.

jimscott, how much light do they receive? I have a few plantlets from a flower stalk which I would like to transplant into media soon. Currently, they are still in a box with live sphagnum moss. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here is some great info courtesty of Robert on http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/list/cp94alld/0425.htm:
(I quoted part of the message here)

All three plants seem to thrive on high humidity,
cooler temps, and very low light. Of the three,
D. adelae is the easiest to grow, and D. schizandra
the most difficult. None of the plants are slow
growing if you give them the environment that they
want, but I suspect most people give them too much
light and not enough humidity.

Because the leaves are almost tissue paper thin,
it's difficult to get leaf cuttings to sprout
before the leaf rots away. Tom Johnson and Rick
Walker however gave me the secret to growing the
Queensland sundews successfully. I grow mine in
large clear glass spherical bowls. The medium is
a very lite mix of perlite and peat, perhaps
75% perlite, topped with straight peat. I've also
grown D. schizandra in straight peat topped with
live spaghnum. The roots of these plants are
reasonably thick, though not as thick as the
that of D. binata or D. natalensis. Growing in
a clear bowl, or a clear plastic cup, the roots will
sprout into new growth points where they hit the
edge of the glass and are exposed to light. This
is how I propagate these beautiful plants. I keep
the soil damp, or just barely moist, but these plants
seem to do better in well drained soils than the
soggy soils which I've seen many drosera do well in.

The plants get a very
small number of foot candles each day, and what they
do get is from indirect light, except for maybe an hour
in the afternoon where they get some filtered direct
sun. I keep the tops of the bowls sealed to keep the
humidity up, and under this treatment my D. schizandra
is doing very well, and all of my D. prolifera plants
have dewey leaves for a change.

Granted, I only have experience w/ D. adelae, but this advice is very straightfoward and makes sense to me.

Last edited:
In chronological order, here is the same pot, with flower turn plantlet

Phoyos084.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

DSCF1795.jpg

This has been on a rack, right at the living room sliding glass windows, open tray. There is also a Grolite a few inches above. The angle of the sun gets too vertical and doesn't shine on the top couple racks. There is only room / open tray humidity.

Awesome. That little excerpt was helpful andI hope true? Someone seemed to give me the impression that it liked high levels of light? maybe I misinterpreted him or he was wrong. At any rate I hope I can get mine to take off.

All the pictures I have seen look like the leaves are so big! Mine seem shrimpy in comparison. :(
Hopefully it will keep up the growth and I can get some flowers/planlets. How is this species in regards to self pollination?

Last edited by a moderator:
The way to go seems to be with the plantlets. I've never gotten any seeds. Also, in the process of trying to send a plant to a hobbyist, I severed a leaf. For the lark of it I embedded the basal portion in media. That was a few weeks ago. Incredibly, that leaf hasn't turned brown or shriveled up. Not that I see anything extraordinary yet but the apparent life it still has is certainly promising.

Ahh ok that i what I figured. Then I will have a ways to go regardless. I find their flowers to be some of the prettiest in Drosera. (I think)

I grow mine on the second shelf below trays of plants, so definitely lower light levels. My plants seem to do very well as long as they get some warm temps in the day. Last winter when the temps were 60day and 45 night they didn't look good at all. but for summer temps 90f day 75f night it does great and it also is doing very well this year in my newly set up warmer greenhouse where it sees 85f days and 50f nights. I'm not sure humidity is highly important buy I'm going to say my greenhouse isn't ever under 45% or so.

Excuse the blurry picture but I took a screen shot of a video I had taken last week for someone... but you get the idea I think.

proliferass.jpg

I'll try to remember to get some better pics next time I'm at the greenhouse... You can see all the flower stalks going all over the place, I really need to get more of them redirected. They come so fast!

Hope that helps and good luck!
Andrew

PS for media my main plant is in a 3.5" pot of perlite with a topping of live sphagnum. I can't remember off the top of my head what I have in the other pot.

Of the 3 sisters, D. prolifera is in the middle as far as growing requirements IMHO. D. adelae is a weed & D. schizandra is the picky one. If D. schizandra is reasonably happy, the other 2 thrive IME. When any of them are reasonably happy, they are very easy to propagate - so get the conditions down & you'll have many more plants than you can handle....

Here are a few threads with some info on D. schizandra ... general - 2 page thread, general, media, drier.

IIRC, there is someone in the NECPS who has good success w/ D. prolifera in less humid conditions ...

Back