What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Prolifera in need of repot?

I have had this Drosera Prolifera for almost 3 months now, and its been recovering from a near death experience ever since I got it. It lost almost all its leaves, but now it is slowly growing and I can see some tentacles on the newest curled up leaf. If it needs a repot, should I do it soon or after it puts out some more leaves? It is under HL conditions, ~160 ppfd light, 14 hr photoperiod, in a tray of distilled water, and between 85 and 95% RH. The picture where it has more leaves is from 3 months ago when I got it, and the picture with lots of moss was taken recently. It is in some sort of sand-based mix.

Attachments

• IMG_5210.jpeg
    IMG_5210.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 14
The reason for the loss in size might be because it is being kept in cool highland conditions. I find this one grows best grown as a semi-tropical sundew, as in more room-temperature conditions. 'Looks like it could use a bit more light as well. Repotting can be a a tonic for plants, depending on the age of the soil and amount of roots, but I'd guess that's not what you need right now.

The reason for the loss in size might be because it is being kept in cool highland conditions. I find this one grows best grown as a semi-tropical sundew, as in more room-temperature conditions. 'Looks like it could use a bit more light as well. Repotting can be a a tonic for plants, depending on the age of the soil and amount of roots, but I'd guess that's not what you need right now.
Okay thanks for the feedback. I will try giving it a bit more light (I will aim for around 200 ppfd) and see how it responds. My HL neps take priority over this plant tho, so I guess it will just be a bit small :)

I'm growing mine in Florida, indoors under artificial lights. The temps now are "cool", and it started to grow some seedlings. No highlands temps at all. In summer it had flowers, and since they are self-pollinated, many of my friends got a little plant from seeds. I kept one.☺️

Attachments

• 17071838812066126499090519513804.jpg
    17071838812066126499090519513804.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 11
Flowers don't self-pollinate on their own on prolifera (if they're even capable of selfing), rarely pollinate at all. They make plantlets on the ends of the stalks but seeds and seedlings are extremely rare.

Flowers don't self-pollinate on their own on prolifera (if they're even capable of selfing), rarely pollinate at all. They make plantlets on the ends of the stalks but seeds and seedlings are extremely rare.
Thank you for the clarification. Since, I put the flower stalks in water and after few weeks, I had plantlets, I thought they came from seeds.
By the way, that beautiful prolifera came from you. ☺️

Back