What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera menziesii

I'm thinking about getting a D. menziesii. What are the growing conditions for it and when should I pot up the tubers when they arrive? I'm not sure if they are acclimated to the northern hemisphere, but since they are being sold as tubers I think they are acclimated.

It would be best to check this out with your source. If they are from Australia the odds are they are not acclimated. I suggest that you keep the tubers in a bag along with some barely moist moss in the dark and keep an eye on them. When you can note growth starting, pot them up. If they are at that stage when you receive them then pot immediately. These are winter growers in habitat and prefer cool sunny conditions.

Thanks. What kind of potting medium do they like best?

Gritty and sandy substrate, about 70/30 coarse silica sand/peat and aim at a just damp substrate until the sprouts are visable. I used deep pots with good success since it allows for a more even moisture for longer periods of time. Remember: don't pot until you notice some sprouting from the corm.

Drosera_menziesii_ssp_menziesii_3.jpg

Back