What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera menziesii ??

Two years ago I bought a plant labelled as Drosera menziesii that was were prolific in growing and producing lots of red tubers. Each growing season, however, the tubers kept awakening from dromancy about a month earlier than the previous year, so this year´s season began at the climax of Europe´s heat wave at the end of July. Nevertheless the plant survived heat stress (full sun) very good leading to a full grown height of about 30 cm (12“) already at the end of september. The story does not end here: Mid-October led to new growth directly emerging out of the ground. Those new growth turned out to be the flowers shoots (max. 1 cm above ground, picture) that are usually expected to appear in Jan – March at the apex of the plant. Does anybody know the reason for this kind of strange behaviour?
On the other hand - I am not really quite sure if the plant really is a D. menziesii. The main reason being the lack of the leaves in groups of three as shown in Lowrie´s book. Could anyone confirm the identity of the plant? Unfortunately I do not have a real good picture of the whole plant.

Alfred

Drosera_menziesii.jpg

Drosera_menziesii_neu.jpg

Drosera_menziesii_bluete.jpg

The plant you are growing is definitely Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii. I cannot explain why the flowers would emerge late on a separate growing point and only a couple of cms in height. Some sort of mutation must have occurred in order for this to occur. Very bizarre!!

What conditions do you grow the plant in? This may help to explain the strange behaviour.

Sean.

Back