What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera identification

Hi,

I have a tuberous Drosera which I can't identify.

- It has a single erect, undiveded stem (about 15cm tall, maybe it can get bigger)
- it didn't produce a basal rosette
- the petioles are about 8-10mm long and arranged one "left", followed by one "right" (I don't know the English word for "wechselständig"). The distance between the petioles is about 10mm
- the leafes are perfectly circle-shaped (3-4mm in diameter), all of the outer glands have the same lenght (about 3-4mm)
- the leaf is pointed down
- it is slightly concave

I looked at Allen Lowrie's books and the most similar plant maching this descripion seems to be Drosera huegelii...

BUT :
- the leafes are not very broadly(!) campaniform and not deeply(!) concave.
- the stem (and petioles) are covered with many white hairs (1mm in length) pointing downwards !!!!

My plant didn't flower yet and I can't discribe the tuber at the moment. I also don't have a picture...

Would be very interested to read your suggestions...
Martin

Hi,

thank you !

I grow Dr. pelatata, too...

it builds a basal rosette, the leaves are not circle shaped, glands have different length, the stem is not hairy !

It is not auriculata, macrantha, menziesii, gigantea, peltata, salina, andersoniana and heterophylla
I grow all of these erect tuberous Drosera and all look different...

Martin

Thank you Tony,

I know this excellent site, of course...
but none of the pctures matches my plant.

But it is not easy to detect, if the plant is hairy or not.

I have the 3 books from Allen Lowrie (2nd only as a copy) and I wasn't able to identify my plant.
maybe my growing conditions are not optimal, so the plant doesn not look like it should...
or it is a variety (maybe someone knows which plant ?)
or it is a Drosera not mentioned in Allens books ? (and at cephalotus.net)

I made a picture today (don't know if it has a aceptable quality, because it was very windy) and maybe I can post in in some weeks (after developing and scanning the slide)

Martin

Maybe you have D. martin...
smile.gif

Here is a picture, maybe it's easier to identify it now. It reached about 20cm without flowering

Dr_unbekannt.jpg

D. menziesii??
confused.gif

Dr. menziesii has more leafes attached to the same point at the stem. Dr. menziesii also isn't hairy.Thank you.

Any more comments...
I think that it is only a veriety of something. But of what ???

Martin

I'm no expert with the tuberous Drosera, but possibly neesii.
I'll forward your photo to a friend in Australia and let you know what I hear when I get back from the honeymoon.

Thanks Tamlin,

I hope that there would be one person who will be able to identify my plant. Otherwise I will name it Drosera martinii :)

Maybe I'm looking the wrong way.
I had used the following sheme :

1. erect tuberous Drosera
2. hairy
3. leaf shap and atachement

... no matches found

if hairs are only a minor charakteristicum my way of searching was completly wrong.

It is definitly not Dr. neesii ssp neesii or ssp. borealis (both described in Lowrie Vol. I)

Martin

I can't add much to the ID discussion, I've looked in Lowrie and the much older Erickson 'Plants of Prey' and have to agree that with the arrangement of the petioles and the concave, circular lamina D. huegelii, is probably closest. Is it showing any signs of flowereing? If it's D. huegelii it's probably got at least another 10cms to go, but flowers should definately help ID this plant.

How did you obtain this plant?, was it supposed to be something else or did it just pop up in a pot of something else? If you obtained it as a tuber, can what you remember of it's morphology, colour etc help?

Vic

I bought it in a set of unlabelled tubers from Allen Lowrie. Sorry, I can't remember the color of the tuber and it is to early to dig it out. The plant will not flower this season because it has almost died back completly (adjusting to Northern hemnisphere).

I hope to get a flower next growing season.

If it IS Dr. huegelii it would be very nice, too.

Martin

I don't think there are any cultivars of tuberous Drosera.

Back