What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera ID help please

Found two of these guys hitchhiking in a pot of U. livida. Unfortunately no flowers this summer. Is it a juvenile D. spatulata? Any ideas?

p6290087-4blh4cv2p.jpeg

Thanks for your help
Rob

Looks like D. aliciae to me.

......or a venusta

I think it's either D. aliciae or D. admirabilis. D. venusta usually has more upright growth.

-Ben

I think it's a D. aliciae IMO. It looks like the one I had.

Seedlings are tough to identify unless you have lots of experience growing them.

Ben - I have several D. venusta from seed that are growing flat like this. They are still seedlings so it's probably how they grow at first.

The plant underneath is not D. aliciae, which does not have the rounded tips like that.

Another difference is that the tentacles on D. venusta cover only the last 2/3rds or so of the leaf. D. aliciae the tentacles run almost the entire length of the leaves. Not all that clear in this photo.

It looks South African but it could be D. spatulata...

Let 'em mature a bit more.

Last edited:
The plant underneath

I didnt even notice a smaller seedling underneath the main plant untill I posted the picture! I just presumed both plants would be the same, but you think the one underneath is different because of the more rounded leaf shape? The camera I was using got lost, so cant take any clearer pictures for the time being, sorry.

Let 'em mature a bit more

Will do, thanks.

I didnt even notice a smaller seedling underneath the main plant untill I posted the picture! I just presumed both plants would be the same, but you think the one underneath is different because of the more rounded leaf shape? The camera I was using got lost, so cant take any clearer pictures for the time being, sorry.

Will do, thanks.

It could be a different species or the shape of the leaves could change as the plant matures.

For comparison's sake:

IMG_0069.jpg
D. admirabilis

IMG_0012.jpg
D. spatulata

IMG_0068.jpg
D. venusta

IMG_0215.jpg
D. cuneifolia

of505904424.jpg
D. aliciae

Here is an update:

cimg1346b-4c9bfu9tx.jpeg

cimg1345b-4c9bfo3oo.jpeg

Are we still guessing D. aliciae? It has grown a little and coloured nicely. I was a little unsure what to do now its winter, but have moved this plant outside into an unheated greenhouse. I hope it survives the winter.

Still looks like Alice to me!

If i may add my opinion I think it might very well be Drosera montana var. tomentosa. It looks just like the one I have i will post picture here tomorrow.

I still think aliciae, but I'm just a Drosera noob xP

If i may add my opinion I think it might very well be Drosera montana var. tomentosa. It looks just like the one I have i will post picture here tomorrow.

I hadn't thought of that. Here are old pictures of now dead plants (with D. gram...):

AF002001.jpg

IMG_0059-1.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

here are the pictures of my drosera montana var. tomentosa (hairless scape, Serra do Caraca, Brasil):

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

They look just the same as the one were are trying to ID :) Maybe i am wrong but I notice when I see 2 identical things:)

You're looking at obcuneate to spathulate (inversely wedge shaped to spoon shaped) leaves vs obovate (paddle shaped) to eliliptical leaves.

D. aliciae has wedge or spoon shaped leaves. My money is on D. aliciae

Back