What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera hilaris

How hard is it to grow this species? Is it as easy as any other south african sundew?

Simply: expert. This plant is very difficult to keep long term, with far stricter cultivation requirements than most.

Finicky. Do not get the crown wet. If temps are too high, the plant will go dormant.

i had great success growing it from seed but all perished within 6 months.

where did you get your seeds?

Simply: expert. This plant is very difficult to keep long term, with far stricter cultivation requirements than most.
have you grown it your self and if so what are these strict requirements,i would not imagine its any harder than a tuberous dew ,or for that matter any dew that needs dormancy,its easy to kill them all,but that all depends on were you live and the environment,pygmy dews go dormant if too hot and dry

Last edited:
i would not imagine its any harder than a tuberous dew ,or for that matter any dew that needs dormancy
If I am reading your response correctly, you seem to be stating that the difficulty level of growing all tuberous dews is the same. From what I've seen, that is not accurate - ditto for the comment on "any dew that needs dormancy". While any number of plants can have the same general growth requirements, the latitude that each individual species tolerates within the specific parameters of each requirement can vary widely.

A quick example of this is the Queensland sisters - all have the same general cultivation requirements and come from the same region.
- D. adelae - robust weed - survives big box death cube environment
- D. prolifera - less tolerant of poor conditions than D. adelae (media, temps, humidity)
- D. schizandra - least tolerant of environmental excursions - only grown for multi-year periods by a handful of growers in USA (especially outside PNW)

fair comment Ron,but what is difficult for some is easy for others i am sure you would agree,this depends on the climate were you live,if i was put off too easy i would never of tried growing a number of plants ,millipede go for it whats the worst that can happen?to be an expert first you must experiment,i have looked around and some say very hard to grow and others say do not get it too hot ,we need to hear from some one who has had success,anyone out there?for all we know millipede might be able to meet its requirements ,if we knew what they are?

Last edited:
from what I have seen from attempting to grow other winter growing ZA species from seeds. Feed them, keep them cool, short day conditions or they might go dormant prematurely. In a mild climate they might bypass dormancy. I get to do this with many of my tuberous species. they sprout in late winter early spring vs the fall-winter . But my climate is cool mild and well day length doesn't change much more than 1 hour or so

My D. hilaris seedlings are only nickel-sized right now and they are mostly behaving themselves, though I have a long way to go to bring them to maturity. Getting seeds to germinate is tricky and seems to require heat-striation. Also seed is difficult to obtain in this country. There are several suppliers from the Czech Republic and one from S. Africa that I know of.

I think i may have to hold off on getting one. I would need a more controlled environment than what i have now its starting to seem like. i dunno... maybe i'll just get some anyways when i feel like it

there's a guy on ebay selling clumps of them in tissue culture for 35 dollars.. I almost bought one but I don't know how well they would acclimate and that's why i started this thread to ask about it. so they're pretty rare in cultivation right?

I really just want one because they look like a big fat version of a capensis and i want to make a hybrid with it

Hahaha, a few people think it is just a variety of D. capensis. Maybe that D. capensis × aliciae thingy is just D. hilaris. Or D. hilaris is an allopliod of that hybrid.

Hahaha. Capensis doesn't crap out on you when temps reach 80s.

Last edited:
I wonder why there aren't more hybrids of capensis. Its practically the perfect sundew being large, sturdy, fast growing, and extremely tolerant

capensisXhilaris would be cool

Back