What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera graomogolensis

After seeing the details of the indumentum I am reasonably confident that I have this ID correct. D. ascendens would have longer hairs on the scape I believe.

Drosera_graomogolensis_in_bud_112903_5.sized.jpg

Drosera_graomogolensis_in_bud_112903_6.sized.jpg

As species go, this is a more recently described one, and another of the wonderful Brasillian species (aren't they all?). Watching the anthesis is an exciting event for me, considering how hard and long I searched for this plant. Fernando has the advantage in his searches: at least he knows where he can find HIS material, LOL. I have to search with my fingers on the keyboard and my hat in my hand. When it comes to finding gifts of the Brasillian material, it's a hard cold world out there. I hope to spread this "little victory" to many growers soon, and bring a little of this fire of Brasil to light in your terrariums in the coming seasons.

It's so cool! How big is it? (I assume it's small but that might be just me.)

Hi William!

This is a great plant! The recent threads have increased my interest in the south-american species even more! I would love to see clear pictures of the seeds and flowers of Drosera graomogolensis and ascendens. I hope you will be able to take a good picture, when the flower opens!

best wishes
Christian

P.S.: If anyone has a picture, please share it with us!

I will do my utmost to get some good flower shots, Christian. I will still defer to Fernando's opinion on the determination, having learned that the details in the Keys grant no absolute assurance that all members of the species are going to follow what the Keys state.

I bet Fernando a packet of rare seed (his choice) that this is indeed D. graomogolensis, but he didn't respond. I suppose that means I am out of luck on that score, since the scape probably will confirm my best opinion (hope, hope)!

Yes, the Brasillian species are just incredibly beautiful. They fight the Petiolaris Drosera for my affections, but they are so hard to find!

A note to you: if you do happen to be fortunate enough to get seed, don't give up if it doesn't germinate right off. I have had species germinate after waiting a year!

Hi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Nov. 29 2003,12:58)]A note to you: if you do happen to be fortunate enough to get seed, don't give up if it doesn't germinate right off.  I have had species germinate after waiting a year!

I always wait even more than a year, before i give up. I had such 'unexpected' germinations already several times. Even with species, that i never expected to take that long.

Christian

Absolutely beautiful plant!
smile.gif

that is awesome! what conditions does it require, and if i have the right conditions, do you know where i can get some seed/plant material? thats REALLY beautiful.

Kudos to your great success! you ARE the drosera MAN!

I grow this plant the same as all my other Drosera, with the only exception being that when the nights do not have a 5-10 degree drop, it is placed in the cool cellar for the duration of summer heat. I have not found it especially sensitive, although many growers state otherwise. Most growers cultivate this in terraria, but mine appears to do just fine without this protocol. The plants needs are the same as any Drosera: clean medium, pure mineral free water, lots of light, good air circulation and humidity at least 40% or higher. The roots want to remain cool, but the day time temps. reach 90F here in summer with no real ill effects. Cool nights with an increase in humidity in the dark hours seems to refresh the plant and brings on good growth: much like highland Nepenthes culture. Evenly warm temperatures with no night time drop are to be avoided. In my experience the majority of Drosera species prefer these conditions.

I regret that I cannot recommend a commercial source for this species. Like all the Brasillian species, they are rare in cultivation, and seldom available commercially.

Thanks for the kind comments. Drosera have my heart for sure, but like all plants if you give them what they need, they grow ;-)

Hi William,

I am happy to see your plant is flowering, maybe now we'll solve the mystery. I didn't take up on your bet because I sincerely do not know! As I said before, the only SURE way of separating D.graomogolensis from the numerous and variable forms of D.ascendens is by the flowers and seeds. So even with the young scape on your plant, I can not be sure.

As for pictures of both species, just check out my webpage (http://www.mcef.ep.usp.br/carnivoras/), clicking on Drosera and then searching by species.

Fernando,

I have downloaded every photo on your site, and have spent many hours pouring over them. In every instance, I feel I can recognize D. graomogolensis over any other species. Test me! If I am wrong on this one I'll send you my cat! If I'm right, well......you can send me some D. chrysolepsis or D. arenicola seed. (I'll never give up hoping :)

Back