What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera filiformis var. filiformis

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is currently growing the Florida all red Drosera filiformis var. filiformis. I got some seed today and wanted to see some photos of the plants if possible. I also noticed that the germination instructions say no stratification needed, no dormancy needed unless the plants form a hybernacula.

I remember reading something about the all red form, but I cannot for the life of my find it again.

Thanks,

Nick

my filiformis tracyi did form a hybernacula (sp?) so its in dormancy now, sorry no photos at the time

filiformis all red goes in dormancy?

In my experience, seed from the red D. filiformis from Washington Co., FL requires stratification to germinate.

I like the ICPS seedbank page on D. filiformis. Additionally, John Brittnacher posted some more information on the red variant to the international CP listserve last month.

It kind of sounds like it should be allowed to go dormant...but maybe I am geting confused because of all the variation from seedlings.
Forbes, you say you stratify the all red seed you have?

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

I don't see any reason to force any plant into dormancy. All the temperate plants I've grown will go dormant in warm temperatures if and when they feel like it.

The first time I sowed seed from the red form, I didn't perform any stratification and got no plants. I stratified the rest of the seeds for a month with good results. Seeds from different locations may behave differently. Mine are from a location different than the location that most plants in cultivation hail from, IIRC.

Possibly Sarraceniaobcessed is growing it?

Red filiformis is an odd one. Discovered by my friend, Joe Mazrimas, his first knowledge of the plant was sketchy at best. After a couple of years, he discovered that some of the plants grew year round if kept above 60 degrees F. Some of the plants went into a "normal" dormancy. The key is to keep strict observations to see in which direction the seedlings want to go at regular dormancy times, and separate the hibernacula formers from the constant growers. The non-dormant plants will not survive below 60, so don't buck the system, keep'em warm and they will filiform their hearts out for you all winter. As to Forbes' assumption about stratification, I suggest you go with it. Cold does seem to trigger growth in both ping's and this form of drosera's seed. Very beautiful fili when grown under lights for the winter.

I agree with Bugweed, it is an odd one.
I have been growing a D.filiformis all red variety that is well documented as coming from Washington County, FL.
The first year it formed a  hibernacula about August, the hottest part of the year.  I put it in a rather shady spot, watered it infrequently and it bloomed this summer and produced seeds which I sent out to a number of members.  I have not heard back if any of them germinated.  It is very bushy this summer...no signs of dormancy and a new plant has appeared beside it.

The plant
filiformis_red_002.sized.jpg

The flower
filiformis_red_flower.sized.jpg

Capturing a large crane fly...it eats everything.
filiformis_red_001.sized.jpg

Have a look at more of my plants at the link below.

Forbes,

Do you grow your plants outside(ie greenhouse, ect)?
If I have a VFT in a 10 gallon downstairs under lights, and I keep the same photoperiod forever, it will eventually start to get crappy(it usually takes a few years), so in that case I have to change the photoperiod or something to cause it to go dormant.
That is all I was trying to say.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

It looks like I was typing while wearing blinders... I meant to say that I haven't seen any reason to have fluctuating environmental conditions to encourage any Drosera species to enter dormancy. Under my relatively uniform indoor conditions, plants will enter dormancy at any time of the year if need be (as is the case with typical Drosera anglica or D. rotundifolia, for instance) or will continue growing year round without experiencing a decline in health (D. anglica HI, CA X HI; D. rotundifolia "Evergrow," D. nagamotoi, etc.).

I do grow some plants outside (no greenhouse). If I take a D. anglica from Alaska out of dormancy early indoors, then transfer it outside in late spring, it will enter dormancy in the middle of summer.

Also, I haven't grown any Sarracenia or Dionaea species indoors long term, but have heard that they will cease growth (enter dormancy) at regular intervals even under uniform conditions. Is this not your experience? I believe John Brittnacher wrote something to that effect in the ICPS seedbank germination guide.

Back