What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera falconeri help needed

All,
I don't have much experience growing Drosera beyond the easy ones, and this D. falconeri is giving me fits. I've had it for about a year but can't seem to find the right conditions. When I received it, the leaves were large and red, but they keep getting smaller and greener. I thought maybe it was going dormant, but today I noticed it put out this flower with no scape. A stress flower maybe?

8fhuL4u.jpg

I've tried growing it under a few different conditions, but currently it's in my lowland terrarium. Daytime highs in the upper 80s, nights in the 70s, humidity above 80% at all times, under shop lights, watering via the tray method. 2-3 months ago I repotted it into a tall pot hoping that would get it closer to the lights and help give it more color, but that hasn't seemed to work.

My inclination is to take it out of the tank and stick it on my basement grow shelf on top of a heating pad, as close to the lights as possible. The basement maintains a temperature in the 60s and <50% humidity. The heating pad should get the temperature into the 80s.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It looks likely to be a light problem to me. What sort of lighting do you have in that terrarium? I know lowland Nepenthes tend to like lower light levels whereas petiolaris sundews like the blazing hot sun.

It looks likely to be a light problem to me. What sort of lighting do you have in that terrarium? I know lowland Nepenthes tend to like lower light levels whereas petiolaris sundews like the blazing hot sun.

I think you're probably right. It's under T12 shop lights currently, I'll try moving to to a brighter location and see if it perks up.

Color temperature of the lights seems to make a difference with mine. I use a mixture of cool white and "plant" light tubes.

Mine flower around this time of year. Been doing so for the past 8 years or so.

IMGP8052_zps96ba6543.jpg

definitely needs more light. wouldnt hurt to bump up temps to the 90s if possible.

Color temperature of the lights seems to make a difference with mine. I use a mixture of cool white and "plant" light tubes.

Mine flower around this time of year. Been doing so for the past 8 years or so.

IMGP8052_zps96ba6543.jpg

Wow, that looks fantastic, thanks for sharing!

definitely needs more light. wouldnt hurt to bump up temps to the 90s if possible.

Seems to be a consensus on light being the issue. I'll definitely move it to a brighter location. Getting it into the 90s might be tricky, but I'll see what I can do, thanks!

My falconeri grows under under a mix of 6500k (2x) and 4100k (1x) HO T5's 6" to 8" from the lights. Peat and sand mix 1:1. Daytime 85-90 night time 70-75 RH around 70%. The higher output T5s will color it up again plus the higher temps achieved with these lights will be appreciated by the plant.

This is my Falconeri:
e16f438f0fe6ce98cca9a27b07c1a92c.jpg

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My falconeri grows under under a mix of 6500k (2x) and 4100k (1x) HO T5's 6" to 8" from the lights. Peat and sand mix 1:1. Daytime 85-90 night time 70-75 RH around 70%. The higher output T5s will color it up again plus the higher temps achieved with these lights will be appreciated by the plant.

This is my Falconeri:
e16f438f0fe6ce98cca9a27b07c1a92c.jpg

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, thank you. That's a really nice plant. I moved mine to my seed starting area. It's on a heating pad and about 2" from shop lights. Yesterday temperatures got into the 80s in those conditions, so hopefully that'll do the trick.

Back