What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera falconeri blooming

I'm no big fan of sundews but I have a soft spot for this one. Too bad the flowers aren't self fertile.

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

that's such a short flower stalk! did you need to wake it up in order for it to flower? or does it flower spontaneously? mine hasnt flowered for me ever since i got it.

I've kept it under the same conditions since I received it and it just decided to flower for me, no dormancy. This is just the first flower from the stalk to bloom, surely it'll grow out some more before the rest of the flowers open.

very strange flower! I've never seen a flower so low on a Drosera before, other than the tubers.

They grow longer than that, maybe 4 inches (9 cm) or so. Mine flowers like clockwork around January through May. Too busy cross pollinating it with other petiolaris complex to take pictures. The flowers are only open a couple hours at most. The D. aff. ordensis I have the flower scapes get close to a meter in length.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111471

Mine flowers like clockwork around January through May. The D. aff. ordensis I have the flower scapes get close to a meter in length.

Are you aware of how many clones exist of D. falconeri in cultivation? I'd be interested in attempting to create seeds with future blooms. I'm just hoping this isn't just a single mass circulated clone.

The D. aff. ordensis I have the flower scapes get close to a meter in length.

Impressive

Still, cool!

I got my plant from Travis (Pyro). I believe the ABG was the source for Agristart III's clones. So if you can trace your plant back to AG3 odds are it is the same clone. I forgot when AG3 started selling these late 2008 or so. If yours was from a plant in cultivation before 2007 there is a very slim chance it may be a different clone.

I could send you some anthers if you want to try your luck. I just pollinated two flowers this morning and there are still unopened flowers on the scape.

The scapes often get "in-grown" - trapped under the leaves so may appear shorter than they actually are. Or you may not even see the flowers. The scapes are very fragile. I just stretched one out that all the flowers have bloomed and it's maybe 7 inches in length.

I've only just recently acquired this plant from Mach. It's been in my care for some months now but I'll have to see if he can help shed light on the origin. Are you out there Mach? =P

Thanks for the offer, I'll likely be attempting to produce seed with later blooms. Too many other things going on at the moment to add this to the list.

The ''in-grown'' effect is exactly how I found this flower. It was tucked under 2 leaves, the only thing that gave it away was the bight white petal contrast against the deep red leaf coloration. I'm very surprised at how short the stalk is at full length. ~7inches seems very unlike any other Drosera bloom I've seen/heard of.

It is an AG3 clone. bought online via amazon......

I've only just recently acquired this plant from Mach. It's been in my care for some months now but I'll have to see if he can help shed light on the origin. Are you out there Mach? =P

Thanks for the offer, I'll likely be attempting to produce seed with later blooms. Too many other things going on at the moment to add this to the list.

The ''in-grown'' effect is exactly how I found this flower. It was tucked under 2 leaves, the only thing that gave it away was the bight white petal contrast against the deep red leaf coloration. I'm very surprised at how short the stalk is at full length. ~7inches seems very unlike any other Drosera bloom I've seen/heard of.

That's one of the drawbacks of cloning - lack of genetic diversity. So it goes...

Perhaps it is time for gene manipulation!

If you wait long enough, it may happen on its own.

(My wife just read about higher than normal # of cases of thyroid cancer in the US lately,
thanks to dental X-rays!
Seems they aren't bothering to use the long removable collar they are supposed to put on, which covers a person's neck further! Most couldn't even find the collar, as it is removable and often lost!) Glad my wife and I don't get them when recommended, but only when absolutely necessary!
Don't get me started on what the most recent findings are on cell phones!

Oh what a world! :lac:

Perhaps we can simply stick some seeds to out faces when we go to the dentist or make a phone call!... that ought to do it! Or just send some seeds to yourself via thru Japan. Sad situation! What are we doing?

Here you can sort of see one of the "ingrown" scapes (loop)
_IGP9662a.jpg

_IGP9664a.jpg

Holding one of the full scapes
_IGP9665a.jpg

D. paradox and D. falconeri flowers
_IGP9666a.jpg

could we use one of the hybrids and back cross to D.falconeri? then those babies back cross again to D. falconeri. Wont ever be a pure D. falconeri in the end but???

could we use one of the hybrids and back cross to D.falconeri? then those babies back cross again to D. falconeri. Wont ever be a pure D. falconeri in the end but???

Possibly. I hope I'm not setting off a powder keg here but maybe Allen Lowrie has different clones or seeds. I'm thinking the latter would be the easiest to acquire.

I'll have to review the ICPS listserv messages but I think there was mention that many of the D. falconeri clones are actually hybrids.

Back