What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis

Hi, i have a drosera capensis, it bloom a lot, but now all flowers die, how i know if they have seeds?, and how to make the seeds grow?, other question, all the leaves grow to the lef, why?, tks to all.

I'm pretty sure D. capensis self pollinates so you should get seed no matter what. After the flowers die they turn brown and swell up a little bit, making little brown pods, the seeds are inside that little pod. Just break open the pod and put the seeds on a piece of paper, then transfer them onto their medium.

It's easy to make the seeds grow, just put them in 1:1 peat:sand or anything really. Then give the seeds light and water and they will grow. Capensis is probably the easiest drosera to germinate, by far.

Your capensis could be leaning to the left for many reasons. The wind could have blown it. (If it is outside.) Or it could be that the leaves are leaning closer to the sunlight. That means they don't have enough sun and you should probably put them somewhere that has more sun. There's also a chance it could be a fungus or a pest. The capensis could just be tired from flowering so much, as you say they do. But that seems sort of unlikely, concidering capensis is near invincible.

~Kyle~

When the pods are dark, they may be removed.

Ok, tks to all, if i get a camera i take a few pictures, i tink is the light, all grow to that side, i have them in a terrarium, i add a bulb of 20 wats more, tks see ya.

i see your in mexico! fabulous climate! stick it outside and watch it grow!

Hi, mmm the sun is mortal here, sometimes the home termometer is like 40°C, anyting burnt outside, the only ting i see suvirve, are the orange trees = (, well the house looks green!!, w white flowers, is ok but my mom want big colorfull flowers, no1 rose open all burnt before, = (, well i c if is ok w more light, in case no i try out a litle. tks to all.

40C is tolerable for D. capensis for brief periods. If possible move it in the shade at the hottest parts of the day, it will survive those temps for several days at a time but not constantly. If your weather is 40C or higher more than a couple times a month, you may want to consider an alternate place for your plants.

Good luck
Steve

Back