What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis flower

The title basically says it, my Drosera capensis has been flowering for about a week now, but none of the flowers have opened up all the way. They will open up far enough for me to see inside, but the petals won't spread out. It's in my windowsill getting good sunlight. Anything I can do differently to help it open up? Thanks
smile.gif

- Joel

They are only fully open for an hour or so. You probibly missed it.

That's what I figured for my work days, but I've been here all day today, and it hasn't opened up all the way either.

I don't know. But I bet you will get seed

Well that's good anyway, but I was hoping for a few nice pictures too. It still have quite a few to go yet though, so hopefully one of them will open up. I noticed that the sun doesn't start hitting it directly until about 12:00. I wonder if that would make a difference. I'll try putting it in the sun for the morning too, and then switching it when I take my lunch break. We'll see if that works!
smile.gif

Yes switching it up might help.

Yeah thats what i noticed with most Drosera they seem to open and shut quick!

I had that with my D. rotundifolia. It was probably open for about a half hour or so. But I managed to get some nice pictures from it. My D. spatulata never opened up. I'm not sure why, they had the same conditions as the D. rotundifolia. Hopefully the D. capensis will open up for me when it gets some more sun.

the only time i see D. capensis flowers, or flowers for most of my Drosera for that matter, is if i go home at lunch or on the weekends when im at home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (firewired @ April 25 2005,12:01)]My D. spatulata never opened up.
D. spatulata seem to be mostly cleistogamous, as far as I've seen.

I've never seen a bloom fully open.

The only time I ever see any Drosera flowers fully open is around 9 or 10 am to about 11:30 am. All of mine are usuually closed or almost closed by noon. Of course I only grow a few species (as of now).

This has been my experience in the wild as well. D. capillaris is a very common local cp and I have to be out in the bogs by 9 or 10 am to catch any in full flower.

It is frustrating some times. Out of over 2 dozen blooms on my D. spatulata I only got to see 3 of them fully open. I did not make it home in time for lunch, the day I had off no flowers opened, etc.

Same here.........I didn't get to see any of my D. spatulata flowers open at all, and it has been the same with my capensis so far. Hopefully I will get to see my venus fly trap flowers open up! My D. adelae flowers have been great though, they stay open for a long time so I have seen all of them. I also got to see my D. rotundifolia ones open up and got some nice pictures of them. But they weren't open for very long. Hopefully you'll get a chance to see some more of your open up. Good luck! Thanks
smile.gif

The mid-late morning has also been my experience with flowers. Luckily, I keep my plants at the lab and on breaks I go and tend to them.

Lucky you! I get to see a few of mine though. And since I get to see but a few, it is all the more special and exciting!
smile_n_32.gif

I finally got a reasonably good digital camera. Actually I got it for my wife for Mother's Day. She has been bugging me for one since Christmas(it wasn't one of those buy the wife what I really wanted things-- she really wanted it too!).

Anyway hopefully I can take some photos of my babies in bloom soon. Then I won't have picture posting envy any more; just growlist envy.
laugh.gif

Back