What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera burmannii

Hello everyone, my one and only burmannii has decided to flower. It isn't the one I posted a while ago as that one died because of temperature stress. This one was a generous gift from a member here. It has tried to grow other flower stalks before but I always cut them off, this time I though about getting seed, but I do not know if they will germinate of not. But I do know that the adult will die. What should I do? Would feeding increase it's chance of survival?
Thanks

yes. it will. so feed generously

The adult will not die unless you let if flower 10 times or a little less...
I'm pretty sure one of my D. burmannii produced no less than 10,000 seeds.
Here's a pic of him in his prime (fed a TON of Beta pellets):
size_Drosera_Burmannii_green.JPG

He's since died, but there are many new offspring that have replaced him!

I fed mine betta pellets (tweezer-crushed bits of them, anyway), and they exploded with growth and several are flowering now. I agree with the previous posters to feed them. I'd feed every 10 days or so. If it'll help, here's the stuff I use:
015905060516c.jpg

I get it at my local PetSmart for $2-$3 a bottle.

Good luck man. If you want to grow more, hit me up; I may have seed in a month. or so.

Hi, everyone,

I heard that burmannii quickly responds to its pray, i.e. its tentacles will curl around within a few seconds. I am wondering which one is faster, burmannii or scorpioides?

Oh definitely burmanii by far. It's snap tentacles take no less than six to seven seconds to reach the center of the leaf. I've also noticed advanced digestion: fruit flies are digested in a matter of one to two days, as opposed to capensis, which takes about a week.

The only plant that is faster than burmanii is probably glanduligera; that plant responds in less than a second.

Thanks for the help, I assume TetraMin Tropical Fish Flakes work too? Thanks!

well, in my experience, the flakes tend to dry up the tentacles unless you add additional water, but it was with 2 different brands other than TetraMin, so I can't say for sure.

How would I go preparing it for them

I just put a dehydrated bloodworm on each plant, then spritz with rain water. I've only seen burning if the worm isn't dampened.

I just put a dehydrated bloodworm on each plant, then spritz with rain water. I've only seen burning if the worm isn't dampened.

I haven't seen bloodworms at any petstores for a year, or so.

Walmart should have it.

The myth that Drosera burmannii is an annual species is just that. I kept individuals for years, and yes feeding is the key to that. Turkeypig is right about D. glanduligera, it's fast! That species was a true annual in my collection, and nothing I did could change that.

Back