What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera burmanni

I've always wanted to grow D. Burmanni, but that fact that it's a seasonal plant, dying away only to return from seed, has scared me away. I have a few questions:

1) Would now be a good time to order one? I've read that it's a summer plant, so would this be too close to the time when it'll be flowering and dying off?

2) What's the longest one can grow D. Burmanni? Couple months? Or can you somehow trick the plant into growing all year round?

3) Has anyone seem this plant catch prey? It's mostly the reason I want it! I read all over the place about how it can close in on prey in less than a minute, and I really want to witness this.

Any and all D. Burmanni info would be greatly appreciated!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Aug. 01 2005,7:38)]I've always wanted to grow D. Burmanni, but that fact that it's a seasonal plant, dying away only to return from seed, has scared me away. I have a few questions:

1) Would now be a good time to order one? I've read that it's a summer plant, so would this be too close to the time when it'll be flowering and dying off?

2) What's the longest one can grow D. Burmanni? Couple months? Or can you somehow trick the plant into growing all year round?

3) Has anyone seem this plant catch prey? It's mostly the reason I want it! I read all over the place about how it can close in on prey in less than a minute, and I really want to witness this.

Any and all D. Burmanni info would be greatly appreciated!
1.Yes, now would be a good time to order one.
2.It is possible to get a plant to live for 2 years if you cut the flower stalk off when it appears and repot it into a fresh cp worthy mix and trim away all of the dead leaves so the roots can penetrate into the soil.
3. Yes, I have intentionally placed insects on to the leaves and watch the outermost tentacles close in on the prey.

Also, this plant does well in pure peat, and LFS. It will also grow well in any other cp worthy mix. This plant is normally an annual, so when it flowers you should collect the seed and sow it IMMEDIATELY as the seeds germination rate will go down very quickly in a matter of days. I once sowed over a 100 seeds that were only a week old, and only 3 germinated. I hope this helps you some.

dewy

So say I ordered one now. How long would this particular plant last before it flowers and dies?

Probably about 1-2 months at the most depending on the conditions you give it

Wow, that's crazy. So I'm assuming the seeds germinate pretty quickly and the plants mature quickly as well. I would love to grow the plant, but I just don't know if it seems worth all the trouble...

If I were you, I would try to get seeds from some of the forum members here...  if you watch the trade forum you will find that it is pretty much a weed. Seeds should not be hard to obtain.

Good luck
Steve

I could send you some seed for sase if you want

thanks
-Jeremiah-

I would love some seed, but what is "sase"?
smile_n_32.gif

Just a question: Could I plant the seeds with my other year-round-growing drosera? I have two small terrariums that are filled with peat, perlite and sundews like capensis and aliciae.

Ohhhhhhh, SASE=Self Addressed Stamped Envelope!

Please forgive how dense I am
smile_n_32.gif

In that case, yes, I'll take some Burmanni seed. Just PM me with instructions.

I have found that it takes about 9 months to 1 year from sowing seed to flowering D. burmannii. But I have also seen the plants that I cut the flower stalk off live for longer then two years, I cannot state that they will live indefinatly but I have a few that are about 3 years old. I usually let half of them flower to get seed and the other half I chop so I always have mature plants.

Wolf

Wolf did you keep them inside in a terrarium in the winter ? Mine are growing under lights inside. The are only 3-4 mm big right now from seeds sown mid april. I assume they don't require a dormancy but should the photoperiod be adjusted or left 14-15 hrs so flower induction is not encouraged ?

Chris

Does this plant require a lot of sunlight? I have them in a shaed area because I'm afraid they'd be washed off by the heavy rains I have here if I put them in full sunlight, they being so small.

In any case, my plants are flowering but the stalk seems to lean against the tank (yes it's in a tank which is in a shaded porch -- no artificial lights) and its tentacles are pale/white/transparent... signs of lack of sunlight?

For that matter, I haven't actually seen its flowers open but the pygmy sundew beside it has its flowers open.

Mine are growing well outdoors in full sun.

There is a white and a red form, chances are you simply have the white form, I wouldnt be too worried.

Hey Drosera,

I keep mine inside on a rack with lights above them no terr, and I dont adjust the photoperiod at all. I leave it at 15 hrs all year round and they flower just fine, I just cut off the ones I dont want seed from. Once they start to flower they seem to continuosly put of stalks.

Cool, sounds like a plan. Inside under lights they will stay ! Right now the birds seem to want to pick out my D. binata fledglings from their hanging basket. I didn't want to tempt them with any more free meals.
Thanks
Chris

1-2 months?? D. burmanni lives quite a bit longer than that. My experience has been more along the line of Wolf. Approximately 9 months or so, longer if you don't let it flower itself to death.

Do not shy away from burmanni because of its being called an "annual." Its a very beautiful drosera, one of my favorites. And even if it does die off, it makes copious seed so you always have lots of seedlings growing. Its a nice cycle.
smile.gif

Some of the best cp's are "annual"

Attention burmani lovers. I have a beautiful potted plant thats in flower right now. My growing area is getting crowded and I need to make some space. I would be willing to trade or sell this plant to an experienced grower who would give it a "good home".  If you live in the midwest (in or near Michigan)PM me.

I don't know what conditions everyone else grow their Drosera burmannii in, but I have often had them grow continuously for many years (more than 3).

Back