What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera auriculata...seeds

I finally got those Drosera Auriculata<span style='color:red'>[Edit: should read, Drosera auriculata, the second part of the species name is never capitalized.]</span> seeds that I ordered from Cook's and I just sowed them but I dunno if I did it right, I read tons of articles and stuff so I put them in a 1.5 liter plastic pot with 1(2?) parts sand and 1 part peat. I put that pot in an empty one gallon ice cream container and filled it halfway with distilled water and put it outside, it's 70 degrees outside right now, what's the maximum temperature for them? (since they grow in winter) I don't have them in my terrarium because I once again have a gnat problem in my terrarium and they've eaten many of plants. I know in the wild they like heat stratification and someone told me that it is not necessary. I'm freaking out...too much water...?...too hot?...too much sand???...will they germinate?!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I know in the wild they like heat stratification and someone told me that it is not necessary.

I've germinated D. peltata subsp. auriculata with no heat stratification under fluorescent growlights.

You say you're growing them outside? Since the days are getting longer, you might have to wait until Autumn. Will you grow your young auriculata seedlings indoors over winter after being outside all summer?

Anyway, the odds are in your favor for germination, as long as a sudden rainshower doesn't wash away the seeds, etc.

-Homer

NOW I understand why pingman is so anal about typing the names of plants correctly! i don't know if this is a species or a subspecies of Drosera peltata!!

It has been considered both; quite a few plants, CP included are in this situation. One taxonomist will publish them as species while another will publish them as varieties, forms, or subspecies, perhaps even lump them together as the same species. It is then up to each of us to decide how we choose to see them. I like to think of Drosera auriculata as a separate species. Often people are considered lumpers or splitters. You can see that I am a splitter, at heart. I've been a lumper too, but in a limited way. I feel that if plant A is a little different in an observable way from plant B, then why not give them their own distinct names. If later you notice that what you thought were differences between A and B, are now observable in both, then you can put them back together, but at least you separated them when it seemed they were distinct.

Aren't the days longer in the winter in Australia? Should I move them inside? I'd really rather not wait until Autumn...and yes I didn't use heat stratification because I have no means I'm doing that, I was also told that it wasn't necessary. What's the best possible place for it right now? Outside? Terrarium? Windowsill?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Aren't the days longer in the winter in Australia?
nope. the days can't be longer in both hemispheres at once. the angle of the earth in relation to the sun determines how long they are so if the north is facing away from the sun, (the earth being a sphere-like shape) the southern hemisphere is facing towards it (that's why there are seasons and why the southern hemisphere is in the middle of winter when we're in the middle of summer)

Back