What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera adelae 4 gemminie transplant

help on transplanting

ummm what exactly do you mean by "gemminie transplant"? Transplanting D. adelae is a pretty straightforward process. Prepare a pot of soil (I use 50/50 sphagnum peat and washed sand mix), if you are using the old soil when you transplant, make an impression in the soil of the new pot by pushing the old pot down into it, then remove the plant from the old pot and plunk the soil and rootball into the impression you just made, then backfill as needed and water to set everything in place. If you are going to discard the old soil start off the same way, prepare a new pot of soil, then remove the plant from its old pot and swish it around in a large bowl or bucket of pure water to remove all the old soil from the roots, then dig a hole in the soil of the new pot, gently lower the roots into the hole, water it and tap it down gently to set the soil and remove any air pockets.

Good luck
Steve

I rarely repot this species. Crowded roots will tend to push to the surface where they will form new rosettes. Since individual rosettes seem not long lasting, this means there are always new rosettes forming to replace the ones that die back.

Tamlin? What size pot do you recommend for adelae? Mine is currently growing in a 9 oz. plastic drinking cup... wide mouth, narrow base, about 2 1/2 inch tall.

Thanks
Steve

That should work just fine for quite a long time. I have mine in a similar situation and there are now about 6 rosettes sticking out of the moss growing on the top of the mix. If I do transplant it will be into an undrained glass bowl: the curve at the bottom of the bowl helps encourage the roots to grow to the surface. I would just rap the whole root ball out, set it in the bowl and fill in around it with moss. Once you have the rosettes established like this, increasing the growing area will mean larger rosettes and more of them, but until this "clumping" happens there is little need to transplant.

Back