What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Droopy.

L

littlebird246

Hi!

I have 2 mystery Sarracenias of the Home Depot type persuasion. One was labelled S Purpurea but is definitely not, the other is labeled S Flava and may very well be.

At any rate they are both growing and sending up new pitchers like nobodys business...however the tallest pitchers flop to the sides.

I know this can be a condition resulting from too little light, but I am wondering if the problem could be that they are planted too close to the surface. I think the pitchers would support themselves if they had a little dirt to grow up through, right now the top of the bulb/corm/whatever it is is exposed, and above the soil on both of them.  The pitchers are sturdy, but the bases are very thin and flexible and look like maybe they should be farther underground.

Anyhoot...thanks in advance for the good advice!

VW
smile.gif

VW,
I don't think planting them deeper will help. The plants would just adjust their rhizomes(a modified stem/root) to the correct level as they grow. If they are inside, my guess is insufficent light. Often time the first pitchers of the season are weak and floppy on some species. If you do have a S. homedepotnesis (purp), the new pitcher may start out erect then fall to the sides, that is what purps do. I picture is worth a 1000 words if you can post one.

Brooks

Thanks!

I will try to get a picture together, I guess my S Homedepotensis could be a purpurea...but the pitchers are very long and slender. It could be lack of light, too, I may need to rig something up...Thanks!

VW

Back