What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double-ribbed ceph

looks typical to me, am i missing something? maybe i just don't see it but all those pitchers look normal.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary either
confused.gif

The teeth look tight but I don't see any mutation. Perhaps the pic doesn't do it justice.

Joe

Hi all:

Cephalotus follicularis (Labillardiere) Nov. Holl. Pl ii 6; t 145 1806
" Outer wall of pitcher with central longitudinal rib, Y-shaped in cross section., with stiff hairs along the free margins, and on either side a winged appendage with marginal hairs that also act as insect ladder or ramps"

From Allen Lowrie, Carnivorous plants of Australia vol 3, page 128.

"Nobody has ever mentioned the extra set of ribs at the lower portion of the pitcher"

Gus

are you talking about the two on the sides? they are supposed to be there.

I see nothing wrong with the pitcher or the plant.

Hi:

I thought there were supposed to be 2 on the sides not 4. Look at the lower portion of the pitcher (bottom)

Alternatively, i'll take another photo

Gus

it's a cute lil' plant, but don't get me wrong, it's perfectly normal.

When ever you post links to that web site I always get an error and all i see is the same old ceph.

I see what you are talking about Augstin....

does this help at all? Photo of one I took.

I.sized.jpg

Ok, I see what you are saying. Mine has that as well. 2 straight down and 2 that are kinda diagnal.

Joe

In your photo, I do not see that your plant has 2 straight down -- front middle. If it does, please post a photo clearly showing that.

There should be a wing on the left, right and the middle. My ceph has that, I still dont know what is wrong with these cpephs, they are completely normal.
Dino

pretty interesting, are all the pitchers on the plant like that?

That's pretty cool... looks like one wing in the process of becoming two somehow...
Very nice!
/Quensel

that's not really unusual..

I still dont see what is wrong with the ceph.
confused.gif

The description of cephalotus follicularis ribs or wings are very specific. Any deviation from that description should be considered as a variation. The majority of the cephs lack that lower set of ribs.

The question then is: is it a mutation or a subspecific variation widespread in nature?. If so, then, i'd be willing to reclassify the second population of cephs with the extra ribs.

This is where i wanted to get at. I'll post another photo soon.

Gus

Maybe posting a "typical" photo right next to the variant photo would help people see it.

I need to go check mine out and see how they look.

Back